MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Default Inconsistent Rubs

I always use the same chicken rub. So I ordered eight pounds of it and I have noticed my chicked is getting a lot of comment cards saying spicy and our scores have suffered. I tasted the rub and would you know it, it is spicy as hell. I have always used this rub for chicken and it never had a spice to it. Needless to say I will be using it for self consumption, no more comps.

Has anyone ever noticed this in rubs they purchase for comps???

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

I know this is pretty obvious, but is it possible that it just settled during shipping? Did you give it a stir from the bottom up and then taste it? If its still bad, contact the seller.

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

i mixed the chit out of it. The thing is, I love the rub for me with the spice so I will use it. I will just not use it for comp anymore.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 07-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

We've noticed variations in some rubs from shaker to shaker. We recently came across a bottle of an extra hot version of a popular rub. I assume it's caused because the batch isn't mixed properly before being bottled because subsequent purchases have been fine.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
badzdad
Found some matches.

Is the rub from a big distributor or a 'mom and pop' made at home sort of place?

I only ask because after formulating my rub for the past year I have gone through tons of pains in trying to make sure every batch is consistent.

Sometimes its a little saltier than I'd like, sometimes its a bit spicier. I havent been able to nail it down to turn out the exact way each time. Dont get me wrong its a within + or - 2% taste issue and I know I'm being too picky about my own product, but still everyone likes to turn out the best, consistently good product possible.
badzdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

It is a very popular brand.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 07-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
badzdad
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
It is a very popular brand.

Cool. Was just wondering out loud. No attempts to make you reveal your secrets lol.
badzdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by badzdad View Post
Cool. Was just wondering out loud. No attempts to make you reveal your secrets lol.
No secret at all. I just don't want to bad mouth them. They have put out a great prodcut for a long time.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 07-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

We've noticed it in one of our commercial rubs too - except it was overly salty not spicy - resulting in very salty pork for two comps in a row. Guessing it's not the same brand as OC is mentioning.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
They have put out a great prodcut for a long time.
Commercial or not, I have noticed variance in prodcut, especially with pepper contained blends.

Its like having Jalepenos. You get one that's "meh" and the next one is Hotchamafreakin.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

The same thing happened to me. At Wildwood, our ribs were pretty spicy. I used the same rub and sauce that I've been using for a year now. I don't know how to explain it. Needless to say, the judges didn't like it.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I will say this about rubs and competitions and running a business as well.

Spices are like the Colombian Coke market.

A). Rubs are made of Spices
B). with the exception of Salt and Sugar spices are better some years than others. Anyone that mixes a batch of rub up every month (say 15 pounds or more at a time) will notice that some spices may be more colorful than others even when in the same bottles.
C). Spice Companies Often Cut their Products with inert Ingredients or OLD outdated spices.
And don't think I don't do this in my Business. I will cut an old batch with new after I compare.

D) Companies that make Rubs for your BBQ ALSO do this from time to time. Not everybody but some do.
E). Even when everything is perfect Mother Nature can affect the base product. Peppers are the most affected.

So lets review... If you make up your own batch, you have mother nature that is trying to screw you, the original spice farmer that cuts his product, any middle men who cut their product (often with outdated Spice), the Spice Company itself and the company that makes the rub.

The closer you are to the source the better. No that does not mean buy it yourself but Mixing it yourself would help.

Sadly, those that buy someone else's Rub are at the mercy of whoever mixed it, bagged the base spices and farmed it, and of course Mother Nature. Sad thing is, by the time you notice it... its on the Judges Table.

Make your own rub (even if you are stealing their recipe). Control it! I ask you, would you prep those chickens, pop them in the smoker and let some stranger tend the fire while you go watch Jenna Haze in Taste of a woman? No! Why control everything then sprinkle on the most important element of taste and leave that to chance. This is why I think some competitors win with simple ingredients - because they control a few simple things instead of hoping 13 spices get their groove on correctly.

How did we get into this trap of using Rubs and Injections? The BUSINESS of BBQ, baby. You can sell a bottle of crap and make someone think they are going to achieve the same results some champion did a lot easier than have that champion explain his technique.

Of course any brethren that sells his product here at this forum... I am not talking about you.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
Desertdog
On the road to being a farker

So this begs the question, where is the best source for obtaining rub ingredients? Penzeys does a great job of marketing their products, but are they any better than say, McCormicks?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I ask you, would you prep those chickens, pop them in the smoker and let some stranger tend the fire while you go watch Jenna Haze in Taste of a woman?
Yes.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
Yes.
Well if you have a stoker you can have the stroker I guess LOL