Cargo Trailer advice

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Looking at a 12ft x6ft x 6.5ft cargo trailer to haul my stuff around for contests and catering, it's just deciding which one to go with, so I thought I would ask those of you with more trailer knowledge then I.

Looking at a Haulmark for $2850 including tax or a Mirage for $2520 including tax. Both have the 32' side door and drop down ramp door in the back. Both single axle. Only real difference is Haulmark has a 5 yr warranty and Mirage a 3 yr.

Both are great looking trailer, I'm leaning towards the Mirage. So any comments or reasons I shouldn't go with the Mirage?

I bet it's is a great time to get yourself a trailer with the way things are. I'm betting you can even get a better deal than that if you show $$ and say you'll think about it and walk. You'll probably get a quick phone call.

Hey Chuck,

May want to look at a dual axle. Pull alot better and can handle more weight. Have you checked Craigslist. Have seen alot around here for good prices.
Michael

biggest problem with single axles is that the trailer weight itself takes up 2/3 of the capacity.

seriously, i would look at going tandem for alot of reasons.. control, weight, towing, etc..

to answer your question, i would go with Hallmark only becase of stories I have heard about the service and support. I dont know anything about Mirage.

Also, torsion axles handle better than leaf springs unless you plan on having it max loaded most of the time. The leafs will bounce around much more, throwing your stuff off the shelves.

The biggest mistake I made on my 8x16 was not going with the 5000 lb axles I have tandem/torsion 3500 and wish they were 5k.

I'd look for a used trailer man. You can get some GREAT deals out there...

My trailer is a Haulmark and from what I've seen they are built heavier. I am a believer in buying quality and that you get what you pay for. I don't personally know anything about the other brand you're looking into but the extra 2 yrs. on the warranty means a lot right off the bat. Also if it were me I'd not even consider the single axle, unless it is a budget thing, then I'd probably look for something used. Good Luck!:biggrin:

I picked up a Haulmark that size about 3yrs old off CL for $1500. It's in excellent shape. Pulls great. It seems to be built well. I don't think the trailer weight takes up 2/3 of the axle rating.

Just be aware of whats in the trailer when your doing your homework.

Single axles are rated at 3500. The actual rating is of the trailer is 2990.

According to the hallmark website looking at the cargo cub trailer. A stripped (no options on the walls, ceiling, electric, or flooring) 6x12x6 cargo cub trailer curb weight is about 1340 lbs. Rated GVWR is 2990.. Cargo Capacity is 1640.

Now add a floor(the vinyl tiles on my trailer added 240 lbs), plywood walls, a plywood ceiling, etc to that and your upwards of another 200-400 lbs bringing curb weight close to 1600-1800 lbs leaving a little over 1k for cargo.

My spicewine alone is 800lbs, that would eat up half of my cargo allotment on a single axle. Add a couple coolers full of ice, beer and meat and you just added another 150-200lbs, and your at the limit.

Just went thru the same hair-pulling, decision-making process.

Used a site: http://www.searchtempest.com/
A multiple window CL within a 250 mile radius within a given zipcode. Type in 'enclosed ramp trailer' and it does the work for you.

The short list... super strong frame, tandem torsion, max ceiling height, finished interior. Didn't want to outgrow a SECOND trailer. Found what I needed here thru the BBQ Brotherhood. Thanx again, Pat.

Decided to go with the Mirage Trailer for now, I need something to haul my stuff for contests and catering gigs. Only plan on having it a short time until I can get enough money together to get my kitchen on wheels. With that in mind, I made this decesion. Guess we'll see what happens!

Back