Am I Crazy for Even Trying?

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Yet another brisket question/dilemma:

My wife recently purchased a 1.4 lb brisket flat and stuck it in the freezer. From what I can tell it may have a very thin fat cap. In researching how to cook a small and fairly lean flat, it appears that my chances of smoking this into something editable are quite slim.

If I proceed to smoke this on my PBC, I was planning on following the directions from the PBC brisket video plus what I have learned from this fine site:

• Coat with olive oil and apply the PBC beef and game rub.
  • When coals are ready hang until the internal temp reaches about 160 or so
  • Wrap in foil and add a bit of beef broth
  • Return to PBC and monitor until internal reaches 195. Start probing the thickest part of this fairly thin brisket and remove when tender as butta (is this wishful thinking?)
  • Rest for 30 to 60 minutes
  • Unwrap the bundle of joy and see if it is suitable for my dog, or if somehow it turns out as something us humans may enjoy.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'd use a slow cooker or crockpot recipe for your meat.
Your meat is too small.
Not worth the effort on the grill imo.
This is gonna be difficult, let us know. (how difficult)
Kinda like a TV show where they give you
a piece like yours and you need to invent a great cook.
Gonna taste real good anyway.
Pics, updates!

I would braise it in the oven, or throw it in a crackpot and shred it into sandwiches. The brisket is way too small to smoke it and come out moist to slice and enjoy.

Give it some smoke love for two hours in a pan... Then add onions, shrooms, garlic, peppers, cup of beef broth , bottle of beer ... Cover pan tightly with foil... Cook til fork tender... All on smoker... You can also add cream of shroom soup... Fantastic on noodles!!

Back