Scheduling

ewchippe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I competed in one comp late last year and am looking at doing 5-6 this next year. How do you guys decide which events and where to compete. Also, how soon do you complete your schedule. It looks like there are quite a few events for next year still being added. I would like to stay within 3-4 hours away and I see about 30 events next year, just not sure how to choose.
Thanks in advance.

Close location and lower cost are a few main ones I consider, but also with next year being my 3rd I know of some events that I like how they are run and that is a big factor how well the teams are taken care of.

With choosing 5-6 in your area I bet some other local folks will chime in to let you know of events they recommend.

small town contests are the best!

I'm going to think about it tonite and give you a better answer tomorrow , off of my list ,on the fly, marrysville, garnett, bonner springs,desoto. all in kansas.

I competed in one comp late last year and am looking at doing 5-6 this next year. How do you guys decide which events and where to compete. Also, how soon do you complete your schedule. It looks like there are quite a few events for next year still being added. I would like to stay within 3-4 hours away and I see about 30 events next year, just not sure how to choose.
Thanks in advance.

Scott City, KS has one of the best run and competitor/judge friendly that I know of:

Showdown on the Plains

Well, what is important to you? Low costs? high payout? Good power? Good water? Well run and organized? Good gift baggies? Close to home? Payout to 10th place instead of top 5? Breakfast provided by comp? Conflict with other family activities? Low # of competitiors? State Championship-Jack qualifier? Plenty of room for the teams? On grass or pavement? You've got to decide what is important and match the comps up with your criteria.

There's a few events I won't miss if the schedule permits. Pensacola, FL, Hammond, LA, Jeff City, MO and the Royal, in no particular order. If I do well early in the year, there's more money to go to more. If not, I do what I can afford. Maybe some day, I can do the 25+ contests thing.

Our current list holds 12 competitions for next year, with 6 more open weekends. I'll be thrilled if we hit at least 1/2 of those. Since I am only available to compete every 3rd weekend, without burning a ton of vacation, that is my first deciding factor, Next is distance and then entry fee. For my area, Steeleville, Arthur, Lincoln and Danville are events that I will do everything possible, including burning more vacation to attend.

I have chosen 10 events so far that I would like to attend next year and I can narrow it down from there. Are most contests that are being held next year already decided upon. I still see that on KCBS website there are events being added right now. Also, how soon do most start taking apps.

We will do six this year. And right off the bat we know that 4 of them will be the ones we do every year. And I know that list will grow every year. These are the comps that we"ve done and where run very well. There have also been some comps that we wont return because how bad they were run or set up. We also try to find comps that are close by so the family can come out and keep some of our cost down.

I did 3 sanctioned contests last year, and hoping to do 7 this year though have 15 on my keep my eye on list. Being up here in Iowa the contests I do is like a who's who of comp BBQ. So my number one priority is where will I have fun. The top for sure for me contest is where I got my first and only call contest. Then I go by travel distance, comp reputation, pay out to tenth in each category, time of year, my wifes schedule, entry cost, and then the "extras" such as elec.,water, real restrooms or not, surrounding area(grocery stores,motels). The "extras" will only come into play if my want list is still to high. Gotta make the wife happy and she says only 7 and my class I am going to take.

I wanted to do more this year, but I am spending money on a logo and some more equipment, so I figured that stuff was more important this year, then I may be able to do 10-12 the next year. Don't tell my wife that though.

Back