2nd Ever Brisket Cook (w/ pron)

GEORGIA BULLHAWGS

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I decided to smoke a brisket this weekend. Went to my local Kroger and picked the best looking and flexible meat out of the 4 they had available. Kinda slim pickens, but it turned out pretty decent.

-Start time was a LOT later than I wanted, 4:30 p.m.
-Injected with a worchestsire base sauce, and black pepper which you can see at the bottom on the results.
-Rubbed with plowboys Bovine Bold, fresh ground peppercorn (liberally)
-Used a log burner home made offset smoker.
wood was Water Oak and White Oak

not a pic from today, but the smoker and my helper.
HELPER.jpg

-Temp was kept between 300 and 350 for the entire cook.
-Placed a Water pan on top of the baffle to create some humidity in the cooking chamber to eliminate the drying effect.
-Filled the pan with Apple Cider and Water to start. At the end of the cook, the juices that had collected made great Ou Jou. I poured up the liquid, and placed bowl in fridge for a couple of hours, then spooned off the grease that had solidified on top. That left pure juice, without the thick grease and grainy taste associated with it.

-After being on the smoker for about 30 mins.
brisket1.jpg

-After approx 3 hours on the smoker
brisket2.jpg

-After approx 7 hours on the smoker.
brisket3.jpg

-After approx 2 hours resting inside of a cooler with 2 thick towels on top to hold the heat on it.
brisket4.jpg

The results

brisket5.jpg

brisket6.jpg

There is nothing left of this brisket. My first brisket turned out great, but i will say I was AMAZED how good this one tasted. I done a few things differently as far as flavors go and how I added them, and I am not scared to say that I will no longer mess with the cooking method for brisket, even after only my 2nd attempt.

Butts on the other hand is another story.. :)

One question for those who compete in brisket. Do you think the black lines in the meat that show when cutting would hurt my scores in a contest? If so I will have to go about another way to get flavors inside of the brisket.

You are making me want to do high heat cook next time:becky: Sure looks good and juicy

Knowing what you injected with, I'd hit that hard!

As a judge, I'd be put off by the black lines. I actually thought it was some kind of herbed sauce you drizzled over it after cutting. The lines actually look green on my monitor.

Arlin

Yeah, when i cut it, I knew what it was so I wasn't bothered by it, but I thought to myself, "self, if you were judging meat, and this was handed to you, would you be afraid to eat it." and self said, yes I would. Soooo, with that being said, the only experimentation I have to do now, is to figure out how to instill flavor.

Anyone ever brined a brisket?

I don't inject for that reason. I know a lot of people do and I'm probably missin' out, but I dunno.... I like the flavor of meat. :boxing:

I would still hit that!! Also I inject with beef broth, finely ground black pepper, salt and onion powder. I haven't seen any stains and it gives it a nice flavor. I really like doing hot and fast now! I have done a brisket and a few butts h-n-f and question if I will go back to slow-n-low.

First off that looks AMAZING! And to think that is only your second one, impressive. I started going hot and fast once I switched to an offset. I find it is easier to maintain a steady high temp (275-325) than it is to maintain a steady 225 type temp. My butts are better than ever hot and fast. Have not done a brisket hot and fast but will soon. Nice post.

Back