MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #61
CraigC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtodd777 View Post
Thanks again everyone for all of the ideas. I ended up making Bpinhigh's recipe on page 3 and let me tell yall.. It was AMAZING.

It was a great meal and would have been a great night if it wasn't for those pesky snakes. I let Duke out to do his business at about 1030pm and immediately I heard a single "yelp" and he came running back. Dang Copperhead got him right on the paw. This is the second time this has happened. Stayed up all night with him making sure he was ok.

I had to come to work this morning, but my wife is off today so she will be taking care of him..
The onset of necrosis is usually pretty quick after a crotalid bite. Your pup only seems to have swelling and redness. Crotalid venom also begins the digestive process by breaking down tissue, which results in super swelling with skin splitting and oozing open sores in the local area. Although systemic affects may not be enough to kill, secondary infections, like gangrene will do so without treatment. A trip to the vet is in order, but I don't think your gray ghost was bitten by a venomous snake.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #62
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

Took a long lunch today and fried up a few catfish filets for the leftover etouffee. It wasn't plated very picture worthy since I was eating at my desk at work, but here ya go..

Duke is feeling a lot better today. Swelling has gone down by about 50%
Mrtodd777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #63
mbwags
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Crawfish Pies are the way to go! Get some sausage, mushrooms, and corn cream gravy to hold it all together and bake .....the best is when you have just had a boil and they all still have the flavor of the boil embedded in them......yummy!
mbwags is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #64
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The onset of necrosis is usually pretty quick after a crotalid bite. Your pup only seems to have swelling and redness. Crotalid venom also begins the digestive process by breaking down tissue, which results in super swelling with skin splitting and oozing open sores in the local area. Although systemic affects may not be enough to kill, secondary infections, like gangrene will do so without treatment. A trip to the vet is in order, but I don't think your gray ghost was bitten by a venomous snake.
Thanks for the info. I actually went out and shot the copperhead dead with some 7 1/2 bird shot out of the 12 gauge, so I know he was the culprit. This is the second time it has happened this year. Our cat was also bitten and almost died, but he is just fine now. We live on 5 acres right on a creek that's covered in sycamores, oaks, and huge pecan trees. Plenty of leaves all the time. I have been trying to do what I can to eliminate their presence but nothing seems to work.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #65
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Better watch out Mrtodd, you keep making food that looks like that these Louisiana boys in here are gonna make you an honorary Cajun!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #66
CraigC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I actually went out and shot the copperhead dead with some 7 1/2 bird shot out of the 12 gauge, so I know he was the culprit. This is the second time it has happened this year. Our cat was also bitten and almost died, but he is just fine now. We live on 5 acres right on a creek that's covered in sycamores, oaks, and huge pecan trees. Plenty of leaves all the time. I have been trying to do what I can to eliminate their presence but nothing seems to work.
Bet there are a lot of scorpions out and about during the night as well.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #67
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Bet there are a lot of scorpions out and about during the night as well.
The home where I grew up as a kid down in Corpus was absolutely infested with scorpions from time to time. Those yellow fellas feel like someone is sticking a red hot fish hook into you when they sting. Not very fun. Never seen one here in Garland though. I will keep my eyes peeled though.

My wife was born and raised in he house we now live in. When she was 2, she was bitten on the leg. The snake was positively identified by Garland Animal Control. They have always been a nuisance here.

Here's a game cam shot of a coyote I snapped in my front yard. This place is infested with critters.

This is me and Duke in our creek. Never seen a moccasin, but definitely hundreds of water snakes.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #68
80 gallon smokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Took a long lunch today and fried up a few catfish filets for the leftover etouffee. It wasn't plated very picture worthy since I was eating at my desk at work, but here ya go..

Duke is feeling a lot better today. Swelling has gone down by about 50%
Oooo! That looks taste also, i could of did a lunch like that!!! any snakes are hard to get rid of on larger acreages if there are plenty vermin.
[COLOR=SeaGreen]"[SIZE=3]when you take it [/SIZE][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]from my cold dead fingers[/SIZE][/FONT]" !!!
[COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=Black]WHO [/COLOR]DAT!!
[COLOR=Purple]GEAUX[/COLOR] TIGERS!!
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
80 gallon smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #69
Wickedcajun
is One Chatty Farker

Crawfish boulettes!!! Or maybe crawfish boudin...
Which is basically etoufee stuffed into a casing
Wickedcajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #70
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

Dispatched this little fella last night no further than 10 steps from our front porch. Duke is doing just fine now by the way.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #71
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I agree with the etoufee. We serve it over fried catfish filets with rice on the side.
This. Crawfish cornbread is great as well. Crawfish omelets are great for breakfast too.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #72
Cajun Ty
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Dispatched this little fella last night no further than 10 steps from our front porch. Duke is doing just fine now by the way.

Dam man you have alot of copperheads for sure, glad the pup is doing good
Cajun Ty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #73
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

I thawed out my remaining crawfish tails last night and threw these bad boys together. Very simple recipe

1lb crawfish tails
4TBS chopped red pepper
4TBS chopped celery
4 TBS chopped shallot (or onion)
1TBS minced Garlic
2 Eggs
Bread Crumbs (about a cup)
Creole seasoning
2 to 4 TBS good cooking oil (I used coconut)

Saute the veggies excluding the garlic for a couple minutes, or until tender
Add the crawfish tails the creole seasoning, and the garlic, stir to combine, and remove from heat to cool.
Once cool, add the eggs and slowly add the breadcrumbs until you get a good consistency that will bind.
I added a couple TBS of oil to my cast iron pan and in they went for about 3 minutes a side. Delicious.

(My wifes plate... I ate three )

Homeade cocktail and tartar sauce too!

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #74
80 gallon smokin
Full Fledged Farker

Man that's got my mouth watering, good job
[COLOR=SeaGreen]"[SIZE=3]when you take it [/SIZE][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]from my cold dead fingers[/SIZE][/FONT]" !!!
[COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=Black]WHO [/COLOR]DAT!!
[COLOR=Purple]GEAUX[/COLOR] TIGERS!!
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
80 gallon smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #75
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Nothing better than a medium rare filet of beef or bronzed catfish server over a bed of cajun rice and smothered with etoufee sauce.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote