Makin' Bacon: To Peel or Not to Peel

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I stopped in at 4 different places tonight trying to find a decent looking pork belly. Finally found a 13 lb belly which looked alright for the price, but has the skin still on. So I ask ye Brethren, should I leave the skin on or get out the filet knife and scrape it off?

I cut off the skin. It's a crappy, tedious job, but I like not having the skin on for curing and smoking.

I usually just peel the skin off after smoking while still warm. Just grab a corner and start pulling, comes off in one sheet. I have 10lbs in the fridge right now getting ready for smokin'!

I left it on. It is much easier to cut off when you pull the bellies out of the smoker and do it when it is warm.

Thanks for the advice fellas, hadn't thought about peeling after the cook. That's the direction I will go.

I usually just peel the skin off after smoking while still warm. Just grab a corner and start pulling, comes off in one sheet. I have 10lbs in the fridge right now getting ready for smokin'!

plus one on that:thumb:

Those of you that pull it off after smoking are you hot smoking or cold smoking or will it work eather way?

I save the skin too. Salt it in a ziplock bag for a couple of days, then rinse off, pat dry, and throw it on your smoker next time you are cooking until it dries out hard (you will need to put it in a cool spot on your cooker if you are smoking hot). Once it is done, cut it into strips or squares with a strong pair of scissors. Makes the dog's favorite chew-snacks.

What is avg price you all pay for pork belly?
I was able to get this for $2.99/lb which around here is cheap. Most places charge between $5-$7/lb

I order my bellies without the skin, easier.
I usually get mine without the skin, but this time the only skinless bellies I could find were terrible looking, maybe 3/4"thick at the deepest part and probably closer to 3/8" thick on average.

I had the butcher cut it off
I tried that at the second place I stopped. The guy absolutely massacred the first slab that he skinned so I had him stop before he ruined any more perfectly good meat.

I do it before curing with a filet knife, as long as the knife is razor sharp it goes pretty quick and easy.

Then make cracklin

Peel after smoking. Then use to season dishes like beans, peas or greens. The dogs can have it after I'm done using it for the wonderful flavors it contains.

Back