Rack of lamb on the hibachi

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Couldn't seem to let go of some great lamb cooks I've seen recently, so I had to do one.

Bought a rack of lamb and marinated for 4 hours in EVOO, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, lime juice, cayenne,and balsamic vinegar.

Fired up the cast iron hibachi with one chimney full of lit briqs and seared for 5mins on each side, then moved it to the cooler side to finish. Pulled it when it hit about 125, and let it finish on a heated cast iron plate, tented with foil.
IMAG1096.jpg

IMAG1097.jpg

Grilled up some zucchini, squash, parsley, with EVOO, salt and pepper next. Heated up 2 cast iron fajita plates, added EVOO, then garlic. Once the fajita plates were hot, I moved the veggies to them to finish cooking.

IMAG1099.jpg

Served the chops with tzatziki sauce (Alton Brown's recipe) but replaced the mint with dill. Sorry no shots of the plated veggies and the sauce, since the couple of Balvenie's were catching up with me, and we were starving! The lamb was superb.
IMAG1101.jpg

I fired up the hibachi, since I feel it's been neglected for a while. Its a really neat little cooker and I almost forgot how much fun it can be.

The lamb looks perfect! :hungry:

I'm not embarrassed to say that it was. Haven't eaten lamb chops in a long time, and good golly these were some of the best I have had. My wife bit into the first one and said, "No wonder we don't go out to eat that often!" They were great with the tzatziki sauce, which was very simple to make.

I made half the recipefor the 2 of us. The cucumber was grated, salted and left to drain for about an hour, as was the yogurt. Squezed the water out of the cumcbers then added to the mix. Added extra garlic and dill instead of mint. Added about a half teaspoon of sugar too.

From Alton Brown:
Tzatziki Sauce:

16 ounces plain yogurt
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
Pinch kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced
Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Back