Backwoods door thermometer

tyotrain

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
To you guys that have a backwoods how accurate is the door thermometer compared to grate temp. Thanks:)

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Well, mine is only 25 degrees off (high). It never reads lower than 100 degrees. Attempts to get it replaced via warranty has proved futile.

Mine is fairly close... But it really is just something to give you an idea of what is going on in the pit. For instance, I know my top rack is going to be hotter than my lower rack and the thermo is in the middle.

Its rock solid on my Chubby when my guru probe is on the same level. remember that your pit will very in temp top to bottom.

They are quality Tel Tru therms. I believe they are adjustable if you feel its not calibrated correctly

Thanks for the info guys my G2 party is on the way and i want to learn the pit without my guru or digital thermometer. After i learn the in and outs of it i will go to the guru i think have the fun is learning new things..

I clip a Stoker probe to the door thermometer probe in my Competitor and they both agree on temp, spot on in my case.

Unscrew it from the door and do the boil water test.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info guys my G2 party is on the way and i want to learn the pit without my guru or digital thermometer. After i learn the in and outs of it i will go to the guru i think have the fun is learning new things..

Both my g2 party and chubby therms read about 15-20 degrees lower than the grates as I've been running them with my maverick in there to check. I need to do a boil test. But so far I love them :grin:

Unscrew it from the door and do the boil water test.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The ? was how accurate they where to the grate leave.. I always do the boil test.. So in other words can go by the door therm. and be close to great temp..

The ? was how accurate they where to the grate leave.. I always do the boil test.. So in other words can go by the door therm. and be close to great temp..

Which grate? I have 8 in my competitor. As I said before... "But it really is just something to give you an idea of what is going on in the pit. For instance, I know my top rack is going to be hotter than my lower rack and the thermo is in the middle."

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like you can go by the door thermometer once you no the temp difference top to bottom.

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

You'll get it in a few cooks. Do the biscuit test when you do your first burn to see exactly how it cooks.

Back