Cooking BBQ Under 300 Degrees or Over Work Out Best For You?

sandiegobbq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have only grilled baby backs at over 300 degrees and they came out very good.

I am planning on building a UDS soon and want to try doing ribs at 300 deg. or higher.

What has worked for you?

Foil or no foil?

I have cooked butts and briskets at over 300 with good results and didn't foil but held in a cooler for several hours after done.

Anyone get good results in butts or brisket with no foiling?

I do ribs all the time in my UDS, start the cook at around 250, then after an hour or so, ramp up the heat to 300ish. Within 4 hours, they're done.

Did these last night, I never peek, spritz, mop, or foil during cook, just let 'er rip.

July3ribs002.jpg

I've also done many hot and fast cooks, esp ribs and smaller briskets, and they turned out great. However, I suspect that for larger pieces of meats that low and slow may be better for fat rendering.

For ribs, you'll be just fine, just don't go over 325...just my $.01.

I do ribs, brisket and butts at 275, chicken at 325-350. I don't foil a thing unless holding it at the end in a cooler.

I've also done many hot and fast cooks, esp ribs and smaller briskets, and they turned out great. However, I suspect that for larger pieces of meats that low and slow may be better for fat rendering.

For ribs, you'll be just fine, just don't go over 325...just my $.01.

I have done briskets that are about 9-12 lb. on high heat and they came out fine with the rendering. Butts about 8 lb. worked well also.

I've done higher heat for all of those yes. They turned out just fine, even great, but I prefer doing them at 275. I like the bark better at these temps, and I personally think the butts and brisket are more tender, but high-heat fans will disagree with me there. It all boils down in the end to what you find you like best.

I've done higher heat for all of those yes. They turned out just fine, even great, but I prefer doing them at 275. I like the bark better at these temps, and I personally think the butts and brisket are more tender, but high-heat fans will disagree with me there. It all boils down in the end to what you find you like best.

Thanks, I think I am going to get together with a buddy that has a UDS and when I build mine we will do it both ways and see how it goes.

Funny thing is that of the many briskets and butts I have cooked I have gone either at 225-250 or at 325 or higher but not in between.

I cook everything at 325-350 thats just how we do it here in souther KS and whats this foil you speak of :confused:

I cook everything at 325-350 thats just how we do it here in souther KS and whats this foil you speak of :confused:

I believe, but not sure that foil was once used for tv dinners?:heh:

Have you tried cooking it at 225-275 and found the higher heat better?

If so do You find it more juicy than the lower heat cooks?

Those look very good indeed and certainly not dry or overcooked.

Do you use a no sugar rub?

Those got a home made rub I threw together, but it is definitely low sodium and low sugar, when I do use sugar, I use turbinado, since it doesn't burn as easy as white. I'll also run the turbinado through my spare burr coffee grinder at coarsest setting to make the granule size closer to the other ingredients.

Don't remember the exact recipe, I always throw them together at the last moment, but It had a bit of this stuff:

Granulated garlic
Turbinado sugar
Onion powder
Paprika
Chili Powder
Cumin
Low sodium Montreal chicken seasoning
Thyme
Tarragon
Parsley flakes
Fresh Ground 3 color peppercorns (A staple in any rub I make)

I'll usually run my contraption through the spare coffee grinder several times to mix it up and get a consistent size.

Those got a home made rub I threw together, but it is definitely low sodium and low sugar, when I do use sugar, I use turbinado, since it doesn't burn as easy as white. I'll also run the turbinado through my spare burr coffee grinder at coarsest setting to make the granule size closer to the other ingredients.

Don't remember the exact recipe, I always throw them together at the last moment, but It had a bit of this stuff:

Granulated garlic
Turbinado sugar
Onion powder
Paprika
Chili Powder
Cumin
Low sodium Montreal chicken seasoning
Thyme
Tarragon
Parsley flakes
Fresh Ground 3 color peppercorns (A staple in any rub I make)

I'll usually run my contraption through the spare coffee grinder several times to mix it up and get a consistent size.

Thanks for that and an interesting rub mixture. I make all of my own rubs also and never use a commercial one.

I have never used tarragon in ribs or parsley with pork.

I have used tarragon with chicken but not often.

Have all you fellows been smelling smoke too long? What ever happened to low (215 degrees) and slow (ribs 6 hours). and you call yourselves BBQ people.

Back