MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default Butts on a Drum ? and Dad's T-Day Menu release!

Okay, my dad has put out the T-Day menu and I'm in charge of pulled pork and Beer Can birds. The birds are taking place of the turkey this year. NO TURKEY this year. We will have pork, beef(mom's making pulled beef, brisket), and chicken. My dad did not want to fark with deep frying turkeys this year. (Thank God!) While it's fun, it's a chore too. I want to try to cook the butts the day of instead of beforehand.
So I have a ? Eating time is slated for 3 PM---SHARP!

If I run the drum hot, 275-300, and let's figure in one hour for resting(or at least 30 minutes, could I get em done in a 6 hour cooking time? Also, what would be the best (maximum) temp to get them up to so they pull like butta with the least amount of rest time?

Gracias!
Bob

For fun......here's the menu as released by Dad!

APPETIZER: SHRIMP COCKTAIL by FRANK/DORA (uncle{dad's lil bro from PHX} and my mom)
SALMON DIP by GILLY (my lil brother)

2ND APPETIZER: FRIJOLES CHARROS (my aunt {dad's sis from DAL})

MAIN COURSES: HAM by FRANK
BRISKET by DORA
SMOKED PULL PORK by BOBBY jr. (me)
DRUNKEN CHICKENS (GRILL) by BOBBY jr. (me again)
VEGETARIAN BURGER (KASS) (Uncle Frank's Daughter) I know, I know! I already emailed him and said I'm gonna do my best to break her from the evil vegan ways!!!
HOME MADE B.B.Q. SAUCE by DORA
PASTA/MUSHROOM SOUP by FRANK
STUFFING/CRANBERRY SAUCE/GREEN
BEANS by DORA

NOTE: make your own sandwich or burrito accompanied by coleslaw,(dad makes a mean arse slaw)lettuce, tomatoe, red onions and home made dressing. Make your sanwich as high as you can and your burrito as wide as you can open your mouth.

DESSERTS: HOME MADE PIES/POUND CAKE by DORA
"SPIRITS MIXING" by GILLY (note: bring your fav. spirt drink for us to
taste.)
THATS IT/NO CHANGES AND DON'T BE LATE. 3:00 PM!!!!!!!
(He means, NO changes, and DON'T be late!)
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 11-20-2009 at 11:01 AM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds good. I can be there by 3:00, but no turkey?
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
BobBrisket

Nope. No turkey. We celebrate T-Day with my dad's side of the family on Friday, so by then, everyone has had their fill of turkey with their Outlaws, me included. Plus, dad wanted a break from heating up oil, frying, and especially the clean up. I usually help him and watch the birds and fryer so we end up spending a lot of time outside instead of inside with the family. So he scrapped em this year. I'm not complaining either!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I can't tell you a time but when the bone pulls out easily it will be easy to pull. I would start a little earlier than you think you need it done. Then hold your pork in a cooler until dinner time. That way it is done and ready to go. You should be able to hold the pork for a few hours in a cooler without any problems.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
BobBrisket

Does a 6 hour cook at those temps seem unrealistic? I forgot to mention that my drum is at Dad's and I wanted to cook them there the day of instead of having to haul my drum back home and cook em ahead of time like on Wed or Thur night when I get back from Outlaws.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Yeah, 6 hours seems reasonable. I was just suggesting that you get them done early so you don't miss your Dad's deadline.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ

Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Bob, your menu sounds great!! If I didn't have company on the way, I'd try to pry an invitation out of ya. lol
Hope you take some pics for us!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Yeah, 6 hours seems reasonable. I was just suggesting that you get them done early so you don't miss your Dad's deadline.
Can't advise you on the times as I don't have enough experience, but I always said it's way better to be early than late.
Now, do y'all ship overnight?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like Dora is getting the lions share of the workload
Great looking menu Bob.
I would give yourself another hour.
Happy Thanksgiving

Paul

Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Does a 6 hour cook at those temps seem unrealistic? I forgot to mention that my drum is at Dad's and I wanted to cook them there the day of instead of having to haul my drum back home and cook em ahead of time like on Wed or Thur night when I get back from Outlaws.
Yes I've done hi-temp cooks on butts and had them done in 6hrs with no problems......
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Personally, I don't like cooking with a deadline, so I'm trying to figure out the worst case scenario that will give me enough time to cook em and have the extra hour or so at the end to either rest or pull. So let's say, getting at his house at 6 and drum going and meat in it by at least 7 or sooner and then adjusting vents and making sure it is running right so I can go back home by 8 to pick up wife and kids, etc etc, and then be back by lets say 10 (dad will be monitoring it while I'm gone) Then best case would be they are pretty much done by 1 or so maybe 2 and then cooler and or just quick counter rest and pull as that point. Does it sound doable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Bob, your menu sounds great!! If I didn't have company on the way, I'd try to pry an invitation out of ya. lol
Hope you take some pics for us!
I'll PM you the GPS coordinates to dad's house if you want! I'm sure I'll have plenty of pics to share.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Your schedule is what I was thinking you should do. The extra 2 hours will be helpful.

Μολν λαβέ

Old 11-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh View Post
Looks like Dora is getting the lions share of the workload
Great looking menu Bob.
I would give yourself another hour.
Happy Thanksgiving

Paul
Mom will have desserts done the day ahead and Dad will get most of the prep work done on Thursday as well. She'll have the brisket in the oven in the early AM, and the rest she'll get done before 3 with the help of Uncle Frank and several glasses of wine accompanied by jazz music. Pretty much the rule is stay the fark outta the kitchen till 3. Before that time Mom is cooking and Uncle Frank is tending to his famous ham in the roaster. We try to stay out of their way as much as possible. During this time my dad, brother and I are out back tending the grills, smokers, and working up a buzz!

Happy T-Day to you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbb View Post
Yes I've done hi-temp cooks on butts and had them done in 6hrs with no problems......
Do you go in the 275-300 temp range or hotter? Or start low and finish hot or vise versa? I'm thinking of opening up the drum so it runs a bit hotter as we near the 3 PM deadline!!

Thanks!

Bob

Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
big brother smoke

Damn, Bob that is a hittable menu! You may want to do boneless butts, since it is high heat! You get more penetration of the rubs and smoke into the butts.