Time for a new deep fryer, opinions requested...

If I had it to do over again, I would look for these things.

1. Immersion heating coil, preferably removable/replaceable.
2. Simple controls and design.
3. No filters or other do hickeys allegedly to control oil or spray, useless.
4. Removable oil reservoir for easier cleaning.
5. As much stainless in a smooth surface as possible

Landarc list is spot on to what I have currently and looking to replace... I would go 2 pot vs one.... special if your planing on vending. You can do 2 different temps or even swap back and forth to make sure oil has had time to recover. I'm looking at something like this to replace a single pot version(different maker but same feature list)

I have a butterball electric turkey fryer. Their made by masterbuilt. Wally world sells them around Thanksgiving for around 100 bucks, but I picked up my from some left over stock last summer and they were only 50 bucks! This thing can fry a fourteen pound turkey but I think that's a little to snug for the fryer basket they provide. I did a 12 lb one it it fit nicely. IMO I think their a pretty decent fryer and I have been very happy with mine. Sorry I don't have a link, but I'm sure you could google them to find some more info.

Landarc described my fryer perfectly. It's branded GE and probably made in China. I use it at least once a week and never had a problem. Sits on the deck in a plastic bag. Less than 50 bucks at WW.

I'm thinking about buying this.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00264G51G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com : King Kooker 1618 16-Inch Propane Outdoor Cooker with Aluminum Pan and 2 Frying Baskets : Outdoor Grill : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

We use an eight quart stainless steel pot and a spider. Had a few specialized deep fryers in the past, hated all of them. Generally don't like the one use cookers due to limited kitchen space.

I know this doesn't fit some of your requirements, but IMO, household fryers suck. I've got three. Two smaller ones, and one that can deep fry a turkey if I wanted. Other than their initial use, they haven't been used in about two years. If I'm deep frying anything I just dump oil into my enameled cast iron dutch/french oven. It's an incredible multitasker and isn't just some bulky and annoying gadget that takes up a ton of space or is a pain to clean.

Took the words right out of my mouth! I have a "household fryer" with all the accoutrements, and like you, I find I do most frying simply with some oil and a frying pan on my side burner on my gasser. Not that the fryer doesn't work well, it does, but in my experience if the tool isn't within easy reach it doesn't get used, and I simply don't fry enough to warrant having one sit out on the countertop. Plus they're a total pain in the a$$ to clean.

That's just me though, the OP might fry daily, in which case I wish him good health! :shocked:

Back