Burnt Ends help

ZBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok Brothers and Sisters, what are your techniques and or tips for making burnt ends? Times, temps etc.

I have 2 points in the freezer from the comp this weekend and I am wanting to make burnt ends.

I prefer the point to the flat anyday.:-D

Z-
Pretty easy. Chop, re-rub, cook some more, sauce, cook some more, chow down. :lol:
Lots of variations.

Here is some historical reading until others chime in.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28574&highlight=Burnt+Ends

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25660&highlight=Burnt+Ends

Good Eats!

TIM

yup thats how i do it, i like to add a ton more rub, smoke and coat in sauce. and give it another couple of hours. i usually do these in a foil pan

A variation on traditional beef is to use pork.
You can cook a butt to chopping temp and treat it the same way.
If you cook it to pulling temp, it will turn to mush :oops:
You can also use Pork Loins or other less fatty cuts and turn them into "pork heaven" for sandwiches with the same technique.

I will bet you can use veal, poultry, or most any meat. Never ventured that far though :lol:

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

TIM

Z, if you prefer the point, keep that in mind for competition... Judges might prefer it, too. ;)

If I were doing the burnt ends, I'd cook them to about 195, then cube it after cutting out fat, rerub and sauce, put in a pan and put it back in the smoker for 2 hours.

Z-
Pretty easy. Chop, re-rub, cook some more, sauce, cook some more, chow down. :lol:
Lots of variations.

Good Eats!

TIM

Burnt ends put the "B" in barbecue. Here are my variations. I re-season and cook the points 2 or 3 additional hours before cubing.

DSC02865a.jpg

Sometimes I serve dry, with sauce at the table

DSC01726a.jpg

Or I do the reduction thing.

DSC02881a.jpg

ccb419b3.jpg

A variation on traditional beef is to use pork.

TIM

I did a tune-up cook this weekend. Bought a case of spares and trimmed/froze a bunch on contest ribs. Cooked up all the rib trimmings, a produced something very similar to burnt ends. Those judges dont know what they are missing... the 'trash ribs' are my favorite...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Back