Dualing brisket write up

R

reptileis

Hi all-

Im a noob here. But I did a recent product comparison during my memorial day BBQ. Thought I would share it with you all see what your experiances have been with this stuff (Fab B lite). enjoy the show!:eek:

Mike's Memorial Day Brisket experiment and recipe for success:

Preamble: Mike Blain Bellingham, WA. mike@prostbev.com 360 223-2920
It is tough for novice BBQ'ers to find workable flavor combinations and techniques to produce a superior BBQ brisket- after a couple days of misc. research I got lucky and paired tips and recipes from various forums and advice from great friends which actually culminated into a finished product that worked amazingly well. Here is everything that was done:
1)Purchase a full brisket (10 and 12 lb)- Look for high marbling within the meat. I Allowed the meat to age an additional week on the bottom area of the fridge (warmer than the top area).
2) At 24 hrs prior to cooking- wash and dry the brisket well, trim fat to 1/4 inch thickness, and began injecting "Fab B lite" into the meat with the fat side down. I also cut the tip to visually indicate the lay of the grain for cutting when done.
FAb product was mixed 4.5 oz (by weight) of powder to 3 cups of 50% homemade beef stock, 50% gala apple juice and 1 TB rub with 1/4 cup of bacon grease. Mix well with stick blender until it has the consistency of a fluid gravy. Inject 2oz per pound of meat.
3) let set up in fridge for 2 hours- to avoid losing the injected fluids prior to applying the rub.
4) coat the brisket with bacon grease- starting with the fat side up, and liberally apply the rub- I massaged it into all of the crevices and then re sprinkled with rub lightly to cover any exposed areas. Flip the brisket onto whatever pan or tray you will use to convey it to the grill and repeat the grease and rub for the next side- this side will be face up when cooking. (the less handling of the meat the better the crust will remain on the finished product).
Rub---- "Big Bad Beef Rub" Yields 1/2 cup:
3 T. coarsely ground pepper blend.
2 T. Kosher salt
2 teaspoon. "Texas Fort Worth light" chili powder blend (penderys)
1 T. Onion powder
1 teaspoon. homemade Chipotle powder
2 teaspoons. Mustard powder
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
4) Cover the brisket well with saran wrap and stow in bottom of fridge for 24 hours.
5) Heat your Chargriller side fire box up as you enjoy a beer.
At 6:30 PM prior to the day you want to serve your brisket, place (using your hands to pick it up so that you don't "Poke the **** out of it with holes") the meat (still fat side down) on the opposite side of the grill. You should have the cap (thicker side) beneath the exhaust vent (where the heat flows across more). Place a pyrex tray half full of water in the smoker, close the lid and begin having another beer.
Your temp at meat level should be 190-210 degrees and maintain this temp, checking about every 2 hours, all night. I used lump mesquite charcoal and added no additional woods or smoke making stuff (it's a brisket not a pork butt). The next morning (starting about 5 am or so) increase the heat to as much as 250 ish- open the fire box lid to relieve additional heat when necessary. We kept the temp fluctuating between 225 and 255 as best we could. It took 4 different temp probes and cross checking to ensure we were getting accurate temp readings. drink lots of beers now.
Your temp will eventually plateau around 170 degrees internally- keep cooking it! The temp will begin to rise again and reach your internal target of 187-190 degrees.
When temp is reached, carefully lift the brisket off the grill, onto its chopping board. Cover it with towels (thickly to keep heat in) and allow to rest for 30 minutes before you begin breaking it down (cutting it up). Have more beer during this rest interval.
This recipe was done side by side with another brisket prepared the exact same except w/out the injection.
The results between the two were profoundly different:
Terrence, which we named the injected brisket, was super moist inside- and stunned everyone with exceptional flavor, fall apart tenderness and attractive appearance as slices. I cannot describe how juicy and moist this was...wish I had taken a pic.

Phillip, which we named the non injected brisket, had exceptional tenderness was less moist and had a drier appearance side by side with Terrence. It also had a 1/2 inch thick smoke ring (sat higher in the chargriller than Terrence for 2/3 the cooking duration) This brisket was exceptional by any standard of brisket mastery but Terrence was the crowds choice hands down, no contest!
With 24 lbs of meat cooked- no leftovers remained by our modest sized group of BBQ attendees and Brisket aficionados. The meat was carved by a gal who formerly worked at a Texas BBQ house (in Texas) as their brisket carver- Her opinion of the briskets was that they both were an extremely high quality, well cooked and flavorful product- but the injected one was the champ over all. This was the second brisket I have ever attempted, my first attempt left me reluctant to attempt this cut of meat again...I'm glad I did though!

Additional note: The side fire box was modded to hold an elevated metal coal basket- this significantly helped to create a manageable and uniform smoker temp.

Nice review... I think the advantage of the Fab B and other similar products (butcher bbq etc) is that it allows a degree of error in cooking... if pit temps are not exactly how you want them or it ends up going too long or the meat temp too high, you have a bigger margin of error.

I've only been able to get Wagyu briskets so moisture isn't a problem therefor haven't tried any of these products... thanks for the write up !

No pics = didn't happen. :roll:

Heh, that made me crack up at my desk.

Sounds funny,but I was there eating the tasty briskets.
I didn't take pics either, but assure you that the injected one was great. It seemed like a ton of work (and I'm a staight salt and pepper guy when I do brisket) but the results were well worth it.

you let Terrence & Phillip at your party? I feel sorry for the guests. (I'm hoping that's a southpark joke)

I love injecting, gives you another level for flavor.

Thanks for the feed back guys (and clubberlang). I definitely will take pics from this weekends retrial. Gotta have a retrial to prove my formula...right? Right!
B'sides...I didnt get to eat any of the last batch. At least, not enough of it.

Please try the recipe...That would be the real proof in the pudding!!!!!
We will rename this Posting "Perfected Brisket"......JK.

Peace!

Wow, quite a write up for a novice! Sounds like it was pretty good but no proof nullifies this thread. :icon_blush:

Next time try salt and pepper, cook about 300* for 8 hrs, rest and slice.

Probably end up with about the same product! :biggrin:

Next time try salt and pepper, cook about 300* for 8 hrs, rest and slice.

That sounds like the advice I read for my first brisket attempt. :tongue:

Thanks for the compliment. Please try my recipe...someone... so we can make a true comparison amongst us brethren. It's a butt load of work...I guess...But then I feel my guests and I are worth it.

Im sorry that everyone ate up my 24 lbs of proof before I could get my camera out.... I'll definitely work on that. lol

Back