MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Fake Farmer
On the road to being a farker

Default Steak Question w/ Pr0n

This is how my steaks come from local farm. All the beef has a little more fat on it than what I see in the grocery store, but I think it's just cause they aren't dressed up as much for presentation. Am I correct in that assumption? All the meat has been delicious.

So here's the question.... Reverse sear doesn't work well on these steaks. They aren't as thick as some of the monsters I see guys cook on here. The butcher cut all steaks a uniform 1" thick.

Is there a way to do a version of the reverse sear without losing moisture? My thought is to sear, braise for a bit in a "au jus" on the grill and then light sear again. Is this crazy? Any thoughts would help dinner tonight.

Fake Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't overthink steak. With a good steak, simple is better, and those look like good steaks. A 1" steak should turn out perfect with a direct sear for about 2 1/2-5 minutes per side depending on temp. I've tried all kinds of stuff, but that's the only way I cook steak now-get the grill hot hot hot, sear one side, flip it, put it on a plate and rest for five minutes. Just doesn't get much better than that. If you try braising it, it'll likely be overdone and not nearly as good as if you just grilled it.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

You can reverse sear a 1in steak. And I prefer to keep the good cuts of steak simple. Little bit of salt, pepper, garlic powder and that is it.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

IMHO those steaks look great and need very little done to them. On my grill with a 1" steak I drop on the steak for 2 min rotate about 40 degrees then flip at 5.5. I let it sit for about 4.5 minutes and pull it. I let it rest under foil for about 10 minutes.

This makes a perfect med rare for me.

As far as seasoning I rub the steak with a little olive oil and sprinkle so Dizzy pig Steak Rub while the grill comes up to temp.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Fake Farmer

Thanks gents. Everyone's KISS ideas are what I usually do and prob what I need to hear.

Last few steaks I've overdone a bit. Not ruined, just kept on a bit long = Med rather than Med Rare. Guess this all comes from a little drop in confidence.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

if in doubt use a thermometer, i use a thermopen, because i have one, but it kepps me from overcooking, better under than over in my opinion.

I get my keg hot on one side for about 2 min, flip 1 time, 1 min then start temping, when im 5 degrees under where i want it i pull it. rest a few and enjoy.

1 flip no touching or moving, just works for me, tried the reverse sear, too much trouble for me. Now on prime rib thats different...
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Those steaks look pretty good to me. You should be fine to sear for a minute or two with a good hot grill and then keep a check on the IT.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Fake Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddahavit View Post
if in doubt use a thermometer, i use a thermopen, because i have one, but it kepps me from overcooking, better under than over in my opinion.

I get my keg hot on one side for about 2 min, flip 1 time, 1 min then start temping, when im 5 degrees under where i want it i pull it. rest a few and enjoy
Just got my green Thermapen! You pulling at 125 to allow it to rise to 130? That sounds like what I'm looking for, but always gone by look once I cut steak open...never temped. All this is just trying to get more accurate and consistent with my food.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm sure that with a reverse sear what you like is how the grill reacts to the juicy fat and meat. Well, with a 1" steak thats NICELY marbled like that the best advice I can give you is to let her come to room temp and then blast it with a good screaming hot fire. Pat the steaks dry before they go on so the steam doesn't mess with your caramelization and the room temp fat will grill up nice and fast. somewhere around 1-1.5 minutes then 1/4 turn then repeat on the other side till its about 115-120 internal temp. After they rest they should be around 130.

I like mine pretty rare so I shoot for 120 final temp however.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

S&P smokin hot grill, 2 min flip, 2 min done!! I use my weber gassed and when I flip it I shut the lid and turn it to medium off medium. For a 1" steak that usually works for me. As far as IT temp goes I go by feal, firm is well squishy is rare. Good luck I'm sure no mater what you do they will be awesome.
savageford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm just wishing I could get steaks locally with marbling like that...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I'm just wishing I could get steaks locally with marbling like that...
+1!! Are those not fine looking steaks?? Definitely jealous

I have quite a few local farms here but they are either awful looking or spoken for by joints in asheville willing to pay 20/lb wholesale to turn around and sell them for 32.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
Don't overthink steak. With a good steak, simple is better, and those look like good steaks. A 1" steak should turn out perfect with a direct sear for about 2 1/2-5 minutes per side depending on temp. I've tried all kinds of stuff, but that's the only way I cook steak now-get the grill hot hot hot, sear one side, flip it, put it on a plate and rest for five minutes. Just doesn't get much better than that. If you try braising it, it'll likely be overdone and not nearly as good as if you just grilled it.
I agree totally. Sear over high heat, then move to a cooler zone on the grill, if needed to get the right doneness. With a one-inch cut, you may get to medium-rare over the high heat, alone.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^Yup^^^

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
liv4jpn
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree with KISS salt pepper touch of rub sit for 3-4 hours on counter if the wifey will allow ;) primo at 550 2 min flip 2min close all vent after flip and sit till your happy with IT
liv4jpn is offline   Reply With Quote