Pretty interesting. Is there a big change in the flavor or texture profile doing them this way?

There is. Different flavor profile and quite good actually. The best I can describe it is smoke-grilled. It's slightly crispy on the outside, moist and tender on the inside.

There is. Different flavor profile and quite good actually. The best I can describe it is smoke-grilled. It's slightly crispy on the outside, moist and tender on the inside.

Going to do the cut baby backs for sure. Along with some ABTs and maybe wing pops. Thanks for the rec.

Another quick question. I really need to add a second grate to have enough room to feed the masses. Id prefer a no drill mod. Is there a PBC owner consensus on how best to add a second grate? Im thinking one that sits above the stock grate and below the rebar.

Going to do the cut baby backs for sure. Along with some ABTs and maybe wing pops. Thanks for the rec.

Another quick question. I really need to add a second grate to have enough room to feed the masses. Id prefer a no drill mod. Is there a PBC owner consensus on how best to add a second grate? Im thinking one that sits above the stock grate and below the rebar.

I know I've seen it done here on this thread. Here's another option and what I did about two weeks ago. If you've got a rotisserie basket around you can also loosely pack them in. I have two of them and you can fit a bunch of ribs in it. Same flavor and texture I'm talking about and again, cooked really fast.

UyRomrFh.jpg

gt0G9xih.jpg

SSV-

I'm irrationally excited about the above picture. Couple of questions:

-Where do you get the basket?
-Do you have to do any mods to the basket to make this work?
-Would it fit in space provided by the hanging grate?
-How long does it take for them to be done, generally?
-What else have you cooked in this fashion?

I always overshoot my times when I have people over so if I could put out good rib product in a couple of hours, that would be exciting. Thinking a lot more chicken wings at one time as well via hanging over sharing space with whatever large cut(s) I'm cooking as well.

Hunsaker has a stainless basket which might be adapted to hang. I think they show the basket sitting on a lower rack though.

SSV-

I'm irrationally excited about the above picture. Couple of questions:

-Where do you get the basket?
-Do you have to do any mods to the basket to make this work?
-Would it fit in space provided by the hanging grate?
-How long does it take for them to be done, generally?
-What else have you cooked in this fashion?

I always overshoot my times when I have people over so if I could put out good rib product in a couple of hours, that would be exciting. Thinking a lot more chicken wings at one time as well via hanging over sharing space with whatever large cut(s) I'm cooking as well.

These baskets are half decent compared to other ones. I had them shipped from Menards

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/grills-outdoor-cooking/grilling-tools/grill-shop-reg-steel-rotisserie-basket/p-1444450211793-c-1461078035988.htm?tid=8358920691165579789&ipos=1

No mods needed whatsoever to use in the PBC

Haven't tried with the folding grate but given the compact size of the roti basket it should fit w/out any issues

Baby backs take about 1 to 1 1/2 hr to finish

I've cooked chicken drumsticks with it also. Main reason for using the basket is to save time and space. When the PBC is loaded the basket comes in handy and clears a lot space for other things to go on simultaneously.

Awesome! I only use the PBC on the weekend and it is always loaded up so this could really give me some flexibility. Thanks for the link and the quick response.

You're a genius, Gump!

I too like the thought of hanging a basket. Space is really at a premium for decent sized tailgates and often there isn't time to cook full racks. If I could hand one or even 2 baskets on one side of the hinged grate and then throw some stuff on the grate itself it'd be a huge help.

You're a genius, Gump!

I too like the thought of hanging a basket. Space is really at a premium for decent sized tailgates and often there isn't time to cook full racks. If I could hand one or even 2 baskets on one side of the hinged grate and then throw some stuff on the grate itself it'd be a huge help.

:icon_blush: I just improvise. A LOT.:becky: You can easily hang two of the baskets and put the collapsible grate in to add even more food. Though fairly compact, you can load them up with a bunch of food, ie ribs, chicken thighs, wings, drumsticks. The beauty of the baskets are also that they don't restrict airflow either. That's why I use the baskets and skewers to increase capacity when I've got big crowds to feed.

In this pic had the baby backs cut lengthwise with a band saw to increase capacity even more. Had to feed 35-40 for Christmas.

20131224_180907.jpg

Riblets what I call them

20131224_191133.jpg

I use the basket below. Just clipped a notch in the handle. Not as nice as the one already posted but they only cost a few bucks and you can hang not telling how many of them in there. I have used them for wings, sausage, chicken breast, and grilled cheese.
0hOGI6Ol.png

I know I've seen it done here on this thread. Here's another option and what I did about two weeks ago. If you've got a rotisserie basket around you can also loosely pack them in. I have two of them and you can fit a bunch of ribs in it. Same flavor and texture I'm talking about and again, cooked really fast.

gt0G9xih.jpg

20131224_180907.jpg

Brilliant! I just picked up 3 of these baskets at Menards for $6.99 apiece. My wife is always trying to talk me into drop a large foil sealed bag of small red potatoes & garlic herbed cheddar directly onto the coals of my PBC. I tried it once, and although the potatoes were great, it obviously raised chaos with my coals and temps.

The next time she asked me, I told her to get her own coals. She told me to get a my own address. This basket seems like a much better compromise! :grin:

Since we're on the topic of PBC accessories, do you mind if I ask where you got those great looking skewers you used on the chicken in the second pic above?

Brilliant! I just picked up 3 of these baskets at Menards for $6.99 apiece. My wife is always trying to talk me into drop a large foil sealed bag of small red potatoes & garlic herbed cheddar directly onto the coals of my PBC. I tried it once, and although the potatoes were great, it obviously raised chaos with my coals and temps.

The next time she asked me, I told her to get her own coals. She told me to get a my own address. This basket seems like a much better compromise! :grin:

Since we're on the topic of PBC accessories, do you mind if I ask where you got those great looking skewers you used on the chicken in the second pic above?

:thumb: Def cheaper than a involuntary new address change. There you go, they'll be great for red potatoes too. The skewers are plentiful around here at small butcher shop and markets. Only a few bucks a piece. Check out any Mediterranean/Middle Eastern markets if you have them around and they usually stock them for cheap.

If you land skewers, Yukon Golds stay on even after being fully cooked. They come out great. Can't say the same about Russets :biggrin1:

20130816_171451.jpg

20130816_195727_3_bestshot.jpg

Even ground beef kabobs for that tandoori effect and taste

20130818_183556_8_bestshot.jpg

I bought a set like this (although the actual brand I bought is no longer for sale). Just bend out the top part a little and they hang right over the rebar. Some people stick a potato on the end to keep food from sliding off. Also seen some people use a binder clip.

Best of Barbecue Stainless Steel Grilling Kabob Skewers (Set of 6) / 17" by 3/8" - Durable and Reusable Customer Favorite - SR8025 [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZGULG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_H0aZzbSA7JG4J[/ame]

:thumb: Def cheaper than a involuntary new address change. There you go, they'll be great for red potatoes too. The skewers are plentiful around here at small butcher shop and markets. Only a few bucks a piece. Check out any Mediterranean/Middle Eastern markets if you have them around and they usually stock them for cheap.

If you land skewers, Yukon Golds stay on even after being fully cooked. They come out great. Can't say the same about Russets :biggrin1:

Thanks! I'm definitely going to pick up a set to play with. I've only had my PBC for 10 days, but I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it. I'm a complete noob, but the first chicken I cooked on it was far and away the best I have ever cooked. Same for the pork shoulder I did this past weekend. It almost feels like cheating!

Sometimes I just go out there and pretend I'm checking temps and fiddling with air vents so it seems like I'm actually adding value to the cook (I'm not!). The PBC makes even the greenest greenhorn like me look like a seasoned bbq veteran.

I'm definitely a PBC convert. :grin:

About 2 weeks ago I had an epiphany. Athough guests always complimented my grilled steak and chicken, there was simply more to bbq/grilling than my $200 charboil gas grill was capable of delivering.

I dragged my grill to the curb, posted a "free for the taking" ad in Craigslist, and headed off to buy a 22.5" Weber kettle premium. Before I even assembled it, I placed an order for a Slow n Sear. After I assembled that porcelain enamel beauty, I had only the slightest wisp of remorse that I didn't have the funds to buy a new PBC as well, but I quickly reassured myself that the Weber kettle was simply more versatile and practical, and would be capable tool that it would take many years to master.

The next day, a gentleman moving to Chicago listed a PBC on craigslist for $200. It was well taken care of and came with the cover, turkey hanger, and a full 2.5lb bag of the PBC All Purpose Rub. Seemed like a heck of deal to me.

I'm in BBQ heaven. I'm doing the best grilling/smoking that I've ever done in my life! I was equally delighted to find this forum full of likeminded folks and the wealth of experience that they share. Now I'm looking forward to cooking all sorts of things that were always out of my league (brisket, ribs, etc).

rvnFwQc.jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup NY Pork Junkie - I am a PBC plus Weber Kettle man myself! That duo covers all the bases for me.

About 2 weeks ago I had an epiphany. Athough guests always complimented my grilled steak and chicken, there was simply more to bbq/grilling than my $200 charboil gas grill was capable of delivering.

I dragged my grill to the curb, posted a "free for the taking" ad in Craigslist, and headed off to buy a 22.5" Weber kettle premium. Before I even assembled it, I placed an order for a Slow n Sear. After I assembled that porcelain enamel beauty, I had only the slightest wisp of remorse that I didn't have the funds to buy a new PBC as well, but I quickly reassured myself that the Weber kettle was simply more versatile and practical, and would be capable tool that it would take many years to master.

The next day, a gentleman moving to Chicago listed a PBC on craigslist for $200. It was well taken care of and came with the cover, turkey hanger, and a full 2.5lb bag of the PBC All Purpose Rub. Seemed like a heck of deal to me.

I'm in BBQ heaven. I'm doing the best grilling/smoking that I've ever done in my life! I was equally delighted to find this forum full of likeminded folks and the wealth of experience that they share. Now I'm looking forward to cooking all sorts of things that were always out of my league (brisket, ribs, etc).

Glad you're enjoying PJ. That's how I got my hands on my first PBC. It was donated to a church near Noah's hometown in Orange County, CA and they put it up for sale. Guy I bought it from said "This is beyond me" and he was intimidated by charcoal cooking. Brand new unopened box for $175. Loved the PBC from the get go. Used it for a couple years then took it to a friend's house for a get together and he fell in love with it and said you're leaving this here. Gave me a bottle of Don Julio 1942:becky: Came home and Noah had just launched the enameled version of the PBC and ordered one the same week IIRC.

Most and I meant most of my friends, family have one now. Then it spread to their friends, families etc etc. It's a hell of a cooker and I've done some wild cooks on it and it never failed me once. Not kidding!

Welcome to the club!

Ah the memories :-D The CL score PBC. It def has evolved.

20130804_203916.jpg

20130804_204836.jpg

20130804_205014.jpg

Last edited:
Back