MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #256
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

cool, let us know what your impression of the is and a pic or 2 please.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #257
SWORDMAN
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I just got the cover and it is awesome! It is well made and pits great. Because the is so large, it's a little tricky to put on but the more you do it the easier it gets. It took me about 20 min. the first time and about 3 min each time since.
SWORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #258
sabrjay
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWORDMAN View Post
Has anyone used the steamer box? I was thinking about using it with apple juice while smoking a turkey. Any ideas or comments?
After you have used it, if you use apple juice or something other than water, make sure you remove it before your next cook, especially if you plan on just using the grill. I had quite the mess to clean up because I forgot to remove the tray with apple juice in it because it boiled over.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:14 PM   #259
coachrenz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Just in case anyone was wondering, this thing is still available online. It is $1199, not quite the deal it was going for at $999 in store, but, if you missed it, you can still get one.
coachrenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #260
SWORDMAN
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Just got my front shelf and the handle does NOT hit the shelf. It comes close within 1/4" but that's okay since I only have the shelf up when needed and leave down the rest of the time. Folded down, the shelf does not interfere with the cover either. The shelf is very well made and very useful.
SWORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #261
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

can we get some pics with the cover on and the shelf please?

Old 11-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #262
gcarroll
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer414 View Post
can we get some pics with the cover on and the shelf please?

it cinches at the bottom so it won’t blow off but I didn’t do that in the pic.
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #263
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

Its about 10deg here and ill be darned if its gonna stop me from smoking some wings.

This this is purring right along and staying at temp easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180113_171332.jpg (61.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg 20180113_171351.jpg (51.0 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by nmeyer414; 01-13-2018 at 05:31 PM..
nmeyer414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #264
utnorris
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Buddy

Good evening everyone. New member, but have been using a stick burner for about a year and a half (OK Joes Longhorn), swore I would never go pellet. I picked up one of these gorgeous grills the other day. I will be doing smoking this weekend. From a smoke perspective is there a pellet that is better than the others? So far i am loving the grill, but not used to pellet cooking, so looking for opinions on quality of pellets.
TIA
utnorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #265
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't have a pellet smoker but a buddy and JM Setzer (Man Cave Meals) say the B&B blends are pretty decent.

https://www.bbcharcoalproducts.com/c...-lump-charcoal

HTH.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #266
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have had a bag of b&b hickory for about 2 years and has been working well in my MES and would use in my Austin if I needed to without any problems

Old 05-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #267
Peabody86
Knows what a fatty is.

Days later response... I've used only Traeger pellets because I get them at Costco and that's all they stock. I'm not saying they're the best. It's just what I have easy access to when doing my regular shopping. The 33 lb bag of blended pellets is a good all-around fuel for cooking and smoking ($19.99 for 33 lbs). My two preferred woods are mesquite (any meat) and apple (pork, specifically)... (~$14 for 20 lbs).

That said, I've been using a smoke generating tube to improve the smoke production and smoke penetration on my pellet grills (I have two). They work great! And in doing so, I've found that I can run 1 or 2 smoke tubes with specific wood pellets and use the cheaper blend pellets to fuel the burner. It's not as pure as using a single wood pellet in both the burner and smoke tube. But it's pretty close. I've had a hard time telling the difference comparing one method against the other, to be honest, as the smoke tube can really put out a good smoke volume. For me, the big bennie of the "mixed fuels" method is that I don't have to empty the hopper to change woods. I just keep the blended/cheaper fuel in my grills and load the smoke tube(s) with the flavoring smoke.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #268
utnorris
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Buddy

So I was at Buccees in North Dallas yesterday and they had B&B's Championship blend 40lb bag for $18.99. I used them this morning to cook some chicken wings and ribs. Loving this grill!! I was able to smoke the wings for 2 hours and then crank up the heat and crisp them like a fryer. The ribs came out great too, everyone loved them. Nice smoke ring to boot. tomorrow thinking I will do a brisket. Kroger has them for $1.67lb right now so I picked up a couple. I have one in the fridge that I got about a week and half ago. Usually I will let them age for a month, but this time I am doing it only after a week and a half. Between that and some chick breasts, lunch should be good to go next week. :)
utnorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #269
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

My question is, will it be able to get enough smoke into bbq grill let alone the cabinets? There is just one side of me that thinks this thing will not cook food very well.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #270
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by utnorris View Post
Good evening everyone. New member, but have been using a stick burner for about a year and a half (OK Joes Longhorn), swore I would never go pellet. I picked up one of these gorgeous grills the other day. I will be doing smoking this weekend. From a smoke perspective is there a pellet that is better than the others? So far i am loving the grill, but not used to pellet cooking, so looking for opinions on quality of pellets.
TIA
Lumber Jack Pellets are said to be the best, but I have never tried them. I use B&B and Traeger because that is all that is available around here.