MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default Need Volunteers - Long Beach Long Island Hurricane Relief

Folks, i know this is short notice, but as our intentions were to start next weekend, we discovered today that there is an immediate, somewhat urgent need for hot meals in Long Beach.

Long beach is one of the most devastated locations on Long Island. We have discovered that the first responders there have not had hot meals in nearly a week and there are between 3-4000 people still trying to clean up.

Working with WBAB and Hope for Warriors, we have secured a location to stage our pitmasters to prepare hot meals for the first responders and families that are down there.

Long Beach City Hall
1 West Chester Street
Long Beach NY

We contacted OBR tonight and they have jumped onboard. Awesome organization! First words from jeff were, WE ARE READY! OBR will be working with local meat markets to supply meats and supplies as well as RD and some local businesses. Anticipated menu will be butts, chickens, pork loins, sausage, burgers, dogs, soups and chili.

We need volunteers to prep, cook and wrap. We also need equipment, as well as fuel(wood).. We are working on getting as much transported to the site as possible, but may need folks to do pickups for us too.

Hope for Warriors will be down tomorrow to start cooking, BBQ Brethren will be down starting Saturday morning.

We need volunteers, if your available this weekend to help out in any way, please post here.. or call 631-24SMOKE.

This is a letter sent to local teams last night.

Quote:
BBQ Teams, Judges and friends.

In the Spirit of The BBQ Brethren, we need your help. We need cooks, pitmasters and prep/serving help to man a disaster relief effort for Victims of Hurricane Sandy.

The BBQ Brethren is teaming up with WBAB, OBR, Help for The Warriors and the VFW to aid the Long Island Victims of Hurricane Sandy. Where many of us were simply inconvenienced with the loss of power, there are so many that have lost much more. Our fellow Long Islanders are sifting thru the remains of their homes, living in shelters and are unsure of their own futures. I know our BBQ Community, and we are not ones to idly stand by while this happens all around us. In the grand scheme of things we cannot do much, but we CAN help, with our talents and passion for BBQ, we can COOK! We can offer a hot meal to those that have been eating in shelters or out of cans in their cold homes.

We have secured locations in Lindenhurst and Long Beach to act as staging areas for our efforts. As BBQ cooks and competitors, we have the needed talent and ability to feed huge amounts of folks with little effort. We need pits and pitmasters that can donate some time, equipment and talent to feed those that are in trouble. An amazing effort was organized by Santa Frank and Ashton Saber from the Grill Scouts. Members from 3 of our teams, Grim Reaper Smokers, Blazing Butts and the Grill Scouts along with Chef Derrick Prince from Master Chef Season 2, spent 4 days in Babylon Village and prepared 12,000 meals! Yes, 12,000 meals!!!. Breakfasts, Lunches and Dinners for 4 days straight. An amazing feat, and they were met by an outpouring of support from the local community and business as they brought in a steady stream of donations to keep the effort moving. We are very proud of their efforts and hope to keep the momentum moving. We are trying to set up similar efforts in Both Lindenhurst and Long beach. If 3 teams can do that, imagine the impact we can have with 10 or 15. But we need your help.

This email is to gauge the level of support we may be able to achieve to determine if we can do one or both sites. Please check your schedules, see if you can help us. We would like to set up either this weekend or the following weekend. Friday Saturday and Sunday. We are working on getting the Meats and supplies donated, and what we need are people to prep, cook and wrap the meals for distribution. Please, if you can help us, respond to this email with a possible schedule or time frames. Let us know what you can do, even if its something offsite, or simply donate to the effort.

BBQ Brethren will be kicking off the effort with a $1000 to get us off the ground. If you wish to contribute, The Paypal.com account is [email protected]. All proceeds will go to purchases for the relief effort. Any remaining will go directly to OBR.

These staging areas will also be accepting goods and supplies for victims in the affected areas for pickup by the victims, or for distribution to those locally by National Guard and emergency services. We need blankets, jackets, baby supplies, personal hygiene/care items and cleaning items. A drop off location has been established at 1930 Veterans highway, Suite 7, Islandia(just south of Dave and Busters).

I sincerely thank you for considering this, and hope, with your help, we can make this a successful relief effort to bring some warmth and help to those whose lives have been turned upside down. If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to email or call me at 631-404-0866.

Thank you all

Phil Rizzardi
Founder
The BBQ Brethren Inc.
1930 Veterans Highway
Islandia, NY 11749

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
motoeric
Babbling Farker

For those that haven't had an opportunity to participate in a cook like this, working under Santa and Snarky (Brethren members), some teams cooked in Babylon on Sunday to Tuesday and we pushed out over 10,000 meals for those in need.

It was incredibly fulfilling to be able to do something, regardless of scale, in the face of the suffering due to the storm.

I'll be there Saturday and I hope to see as many Brethren there as possible.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

I'm in. Trying to bring some of the same help I had with me last weekend. See you there.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

I'm in with Laura and Frank!
WSM 18"
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team www.blazinbuttz-bbq.com
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I cannot attend but donated again tonite to OBR.
God Bless you all.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
snarky
Got Wood.

I'll be there on Saturday, trying for Sunday. This is such an incredible project! I have two friends in Long Beach who have lost everything, they have both been staying there, reaching out and helping the community! When I told Lauren what the brethren arranged she just started to cry with relief! Thank you all!!
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Give Lauren a hug from my wife and I
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
BasicPatrick
Full Fledged Farker

Phil...I have been communicating with multiple people involved with OBR seeking a cook site to work this weekend. Chris Hart & Jon Orr both have communications going on people wanting to volunteer.

I want to commit to a site asap. I can leave MA Sat AM and be on site Sat late afternoon and stay through monday afternoon. I can just drive a vehicle with or without some equipment, make pickups and provide labor etc. I could also pull the 6 x 10' x 7' interior trailer with the FEC & Traeger.

I am in a conference all day Friday but text or call me 781-771-8374

I have friends in the Lindenhurst area
Yoder YS640 & Traeger Texas 075
26.75 Weber OTG & 22.5 WSM
Camp Chef Pro 60
Wicked Pissah Super Fast Basic Blue Thermapen
30' Puma Palomino Toyhauler & 10' SGC Cargo Trailer.
NEBS, KCBS, KCBS CBJ, KCBS CTC, ICP
"Rub Some Sunshine on Your Face"--Richard Pryor
BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm down to help out. I can bring my two grills and cook up a ton of whatever burgers/dogs you have as long as you have space for my pickup/16ft trailer. I was in Staten Island doing that last weekend.

Just give me info on time and who if anyone i need to check in with when I arrive. I am available for this Saturday.

Here was my setup last week.

[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]

Last edited by TailGateJoecom; 11-09-2012 at 01:06 AM..
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

I can't be there to help but I just contributed to the cause via PayPal to: [email protected]

Good Luck Brethren!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Donation sent to OBR here as well...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
exhorns
On the road to being a farker

Phil, I am available tonight (Friday) and Sunday. Let me know where to be and anything I need to bring. I have a pickup so I can do some transporting if needed. 631-478-9573 Matt

Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Anyone heard from Sean (Muzzlebrake)? I tried texting him for rub shipment. Phil let me know , if you want me to send it to your house for next week.