Second UDS smoke. Pork spare ribs,baked potatoes and another fatty

S

swampdrummer

Just gonna post my "notes" like the last time. Maybe somebody will be able to glean a little bit of info from them.

9-19-10 smoke
1 rack spare ribs 4 lbs. pepper and cavenders. Trimmed the tip off and attempted to pull the membrane but it didn't want to come off, so I left it.
1 JD regular sausage fatty onions shrooms and cheddar cheese.

Fired up UDS and brought it up to 240-250. Little bit of white smoke that doesn't seem to want to go away but loaded ribs on at 10:15 am.

Rock solid at 225 today. for better than 3 hours with both vents closed and ball valve at 1/2 to 2/3... Good stuff. White smoke must have been from condensation in the barrel cause it was gone by 10:30

1:15 opened her up. Looking pretty good. Maybe just a bit on the dry side but the meat is pulling back just a bit. Put the rack in foil with some apple juice. Stirred the coals a bit and threw the fatty on. Opened one vent and ball valve all the way for about 10 minutes then back down to both vents closed and ball valve at about 1/2

3:15 opened her up and probed the fatty. 160 right on the money. Pulled the fatty and opened up the foil on the spares. Still looking a little dry so I left the rack in the foil and added more apple juice. Going to apple juice one more time then finish the last 30 minutes with sauce. Fatty is great though needed more cheese. Liking the combo of onions and shrooms...

3:45, Left rack in foil, open on the uds and hit it with a light coat of Sweet Baby Rays and then opened one vent to get the temps up for the last few minutes. Pulled the spares at 4:15 and threw 3 more potatoes wrapped in foil with olive oil and Monterey steak seasoning.Wrapped up the spares and stuck them in the oven( turned off) Opened all vents and UDS climbed to 400+. Potatoes done in an hour.

6:30 was dinner time. Good smoke ring. Great taste. Just a little chewy on the top edge. Potatoes were perfect. No pics of the taters.... sorry.

0_0_b4132c88e15190f920c346cc7ddfb325_1

0_0_6d72f78441439eb3f7161583ab467a08_1

0_0_bdf6fa1a7cd5c65e46a0dd9c3f64a9a0_1

Its been a fun weekend! I've eaten WAY to much and we have leftovers for the rest of the week I think!

Thanks again for all the help and info that is on this forum! Up until this weekend I'd never smoked a thing in my life! I've ate some mighty fine BBQ in my life and always thought it was a mysterious art that I'd never be able to learn. I've still got a loooong way to go but this weekend has shown me that its possible!

Next weekend. I've got a freezer slap full of wild hog and venison. Maybe even some gator tail in there if I dig deep enough.Going to venture to the wild side and see what I come up with!:-D:-D

Back