Boonville contest cancelled

Fredbird

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the Boonville Chamber of Commerce. The Heritage Days BBQ Contest scheduled for the end of June has been cancelled. One of the reasons the contest was called off was that they were told by KCBS that they would have to have at least $7000.00 prize money. They didn't feel that they could come up with the money.

Maybe I don't have all the facts, but I know a lot of contests have a lot less than $7000.00 prize money especially their first year. Perhaps, someone a little closer to KCBS may have an idea where that information came from.

That is not good news. Sure hope that this is not the case.

Is there one nearby with that much prize money that weekend? Could be KCBS isnt sanctioning the small ones to save the larger contests (Not that is the right thing to do) But 7K is a huge purse....were sanctioned in Nebraska in Sept for much less...

The New Hampshire Rock-n-Ribfest is sanctioned with $3,000 prize money for the KCBS contest AND the accompanying grilling contest....

KCBS has come out with a new rule that says you have to declare a payout for your contest.
As far as I know, they do not dictate a set amount to pay out.
In my case for the Shrine Club Contest, we had to declare a low amount because our payout is 100% of the entry fees, and we don't know what it is until basically the day of the contest. Being a not for profit orginaization, we cannot offer a payout that we cannot generate from the contest.This could drastically hurt our attendance because the teams look at the low payout and think it is a cheap contest. In reality we paid out around $4600 last year.
I think this is a poor decision on the part of KCBS. Point in fact, the cancelling of this contest.

there is sure a lot of contests that are shutting down this year. Hmmmmmmmm

Back