MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #16
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I know this.............I'm weeping like a baby cause I wish I had one of Ricks Racks in front of me right now!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #17
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

So what? I don't get it, you just rub them with salt and start cooking when they start crying?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:47 AM   #18
Northwoods Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

My favorite rib cooking music is Blue Oyster Cult... "Don't fear the weeper".

"I need more Pig Honey, Babe!"

Old 08-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #19
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I like to listen, as I'm smoking, to BOC's "She's as Beautiful as a Foot". Smoked pig's feet are righteous.

No kidding, "The Last Days of May" still almost makes me cry every time. It's not as cool when you've lived it.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #20
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
So what? I don't get it, you just rub them with salt and start cooking when they start crying?
read the first post again. maybe three or four times until you get it.
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #21
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
You know what I mean by the "froth?"
this looks kind of froth-like, eh?

when fattys foam, they are past done.
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #22
Fastball
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Smoke View Post
My favorite rib cooking music is Blue Oyster Cult... "Don't fear the weeper".

"I need more Pig Honey, Babe!"

HEHEHE!

"I got a fever!....and the only prescription....is more pig honey!"
Homemade Cabinet Smoker..AKA "The Contraption"...AKA "Mr. Potatohead"
J&R Mfg Combo Broiler w/ Rotisserie
Weber 22.5 kettle
Char-Broil Gasser
Old Beat-up Off-brand Kettle Grill
Fastball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #23
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I love that skit

Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #24
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
read the first post again. maybe three or four times until you get it.
I was just joking around. Lol. Sticking a fork in the Funkmaster.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #25
bbq ron
is one Smokin' Farker

RTD, you have done it again. this just isn't fair cause i can't mine to look as good as yours
gosm
bbq ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #26
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Can you go more into why you shut down the dampers? What are you try to accomplish by doing that? Are you trying to keep a moist environment for the last part of the cook?

Thanks,
Nate
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #27
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do basically the same thing on my Lang and yes, I can hear it hit the plate. I've also heard it on the BGE but no as much...

Rick, that's a couple of great looking slabs my friend. You practicing for the next Bash?
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #28
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Can you go more into why you shut down the dampers? What are you try to accomplish by doing that? Are you trying to keep a moist environment for the last part of the cook?

Thanks,
Nate

Sure and once again... I have only experience on the big pits.

I assume you understand the Weep method as far as what is happening to the Ribs when they reach that stage. They are releasing their "honey" which is a combination of mostly fats and collagen.

Now If I keep, Hard Cooking them (keep doing the 325 degree thang) then they will start giving up their water... which we don't want.

Now there are rules.

As I stated before, once you know you ARE getting close to this point either by timing it -(which is not that good a method except for basic times you need to be monitoring it) or my looking, which you need to really limit this peeking as it STOPs the process, you need to be reallly concerned about your fire.

You do not want any partially unburned crap in there. A segment of unburned log that in an open vent environment would cause no problem, will cause a great problem if you let it smolder that way.

I suggest more peeking at the fire than the pit... so arrange those coals, or open the firechamber door and let the guru or stoker blast that fire and burn up everything until you get a bed of glowing coals and nothing else.

Now once you notice the ribs are weeping you quickly close off the vents 100% or shut off the stoker or guru, and cap or shut down the top vents.

Now if you timed it right you will have gotten the ribs JJUUUUUUUSSSTTTT to that point if weeping and you will dial it back and guess what happens,,, they weep a while more then as they cool they suck in all the moisture slowly....

This would not happen if you just pulled them out and let them rest. They would cool to quickly. I also think they take on that slightly undefinable yet descernable funk on your pit when its all locked up like that.

Remember... this is for the Hot and fast method. There is no data I know of to being applied to the 3 2 1 (which I can't imagine it would help) or with glazed ribs. I have not put much thought into this but I would conjecture that it might replace some of the elements of a lower slower method (this is the theory that the ribs sweat more than once [like three times] and draw in flavors this way when you are not foiling). Maybe it just does it all at once, weeps lot then draws back a lot.

The point of the shutdown is to maybe get the low and slow where it does the best work. Remember the theory that the upward IT climb of a brisket is not as important as what happens when it reaches that weeping stage. Sort of like that. Of course I am not talking aboue grilling the briskewt all the way. But I have noticed I have seen Briskets grilled 45 minutes then slow smoked at 220 and they were as good as a brisket thrown in a 350 degree pit then rested a long while. The point is when you reach that weeping point (i can hear it- I use sound) you better dial it back or slow it down.

So the rins get to that point and we don't disturb their environment but we dial down the temp to choke out.

Another point..... setting back the temp quickly to say 200 from 325 doesn't do it either.

I think.... what happens is when you notice the ribs are weeping you quickly shut the door, and then shut down the pit all the way and the temp curves arcs down slowly allowing the drawing in process to last a long time. The meat being the hottest body for the rest of the time in the pit as the pit temp goes down.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #29
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Like this??

Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #30
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

gosh that was before I put the shelf on the front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Like this??