Heat Shield - Good Idea? (Weber Kettle)

G

G_Sull

So last time I smoked a shoulder on my kettle I had some issues with hot spots. When picking up new drip-pans I saw these disposable cookie sheets and thought they might work as a heat shield. Now I am questioning myself - Will these melt? Is this even a good idea?

vwtdJuX.jpg

It's a bit hard to see in the photo but the shields go all the way down to the charcoal grate.

I know some guys/gals use bricks as shields but I don't have any lying around. Has anyone tried this before or does anyone know if these will stand up to the heat?

Thanks!

-Sully

If it's made out of aluminum it shouldn't' melt.. think alum. foil. Personally I would just work with the hot spots and rotate the meat every now and then. You could try it out but I would worry about lack of air flow.

I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish, however, if you can find some bricks to line up on the charcoal grate, that would probably be a better long term solution. Also, keep in mind that for longer cooks, you can control the heat by using a small portion of lit coals next to a much larger portion of unlit; the unlit portion will gradually catch fire, and if you work your vents properly, you should be able to easily get 6 hours+ on one load of charcoal if you are cooking at around 250 degrees.

Here's a good thread so you can see some indirect kettle set ups:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246

Your set up is the problem and that rig will only severely extend the cook. Use the ring of fire.
DSCN0717.jpg

DSCN0720.jpg

I have used a similar setup, except I do not take the shield above grate level, I fold it over a bit. That will work fine. I have noticed to change in cooking time when I have done this.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will give it a try bending them down a bit more so that they are closer to grill level. I haven't had issues managing temps on previous cooks just hot spots on one side of the grill. I am planning on another shoulder mid-week so I'll give the 'ring-of-fire' that Bludawg suggested a try as well.

i do it all the time. i foil over the charcoal grate to the coals. then i hang some foil from the cooking grate to the coal grate just next to the coals. works perfectly.
some have made metal plates that do the same thing.

Awesome, thanks guys. Is it necessary to foil the charcoal grate if I am using that large of a drip pan? I would think it would do much the same thing, right?

to me, yes, you should foil the grate. the pan will not block enough of the air. the reason is to force most if not all the air through the coals. at least to eliminate cold fresh air from mixing with the hot air and making the temps go all over the place. just provides a better steady temp.

Back