Another Fatty question for a newb

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Hi all I'm going to try my hand at a fatty and I'm wondering what temp to pull it at and roughly how long they take at 250-300? I'll be doing it indirect with a few handfulls of mesquite woodchips on a Smokey Joe Platinum (since that's all I have). Also how many briquettes should I start out with? They look so darn good I have to have one! I'll be using hot pork sausage I assume 1lb is the standard?, colby jack cheese and some sauteed japs, onion and a little garlic. I'm also wondering how difficult it would be to control the temp on the SJP if anyone knows. I know I may not get the perfect temp but I'm just gonna try to get the fire not too hot and cook it with some smoke till its done. Can't wait to try it! :lol: I had some trouble this weekend. I did 8 packs of dogs for a friends kids bday party and afterward probably 40 mins later I closed the top and side vents halfway and since I did the SJS mod left the bottom vent open all the way and couldn't get the temp to drop below 450. I waited a while but just gave up. But I did have almost a full chimney in there so i'm sure thats why.

I think the prevailing advice is to pull it at 160 or when you have a 'blow-out'. Not sure how long that will take.

That's pretty funny. The software thought the word 'blow-out' (sans hyphen) was a sexually explicit term.

160 for me. Foiled and coolered for a little while, usually about 30 minutes. That's about how long I can go without slicing.

Ok 160 it is but it's gonna be hard to wait to eat it!!! Was thinking of making some biscuits and puting the slices in there for a little sandwich. Start drooling mod

Yep....160-165 for me.....They will get a little dry if left on too long....Hmmm, I wonder how I know that :oops:

If you're targeting smoking temperatures, I wouldn't start with much more than 20-30 briquettes, all banked to the side opposite of where the fatty sits. Put some wood on the briquettes and place the cover on with the vent over the meat. You will probably need to add coals after 60-90 minutes.

as brew b q says. i find that mine are cooked in about an hour or so. no need to add coals so far. did one, my first, on a sj. a little overcooked but still good. just did two sunday on my 22.5 kettle and they were done in an hour and turned out much better. be careful cuz there is one danger. yer gonna get addicted !

Ok just got home and got the stuff from the store. Gonna start with 20 or so briquettes will post pron in a while. I'm so excited do you think a pound will be enough for just me???? Ha ha jk :icon_devil

Back