MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #31
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Definitely a gimmick to generate more money.

And I don't drink much, but I'm not really a fan of smoked whiskey. It's not like que. The smokeyness also imparts a lot of bitterness. I'll take some American charred barrels over smoked scotch malt any day.

And yeah, Makers mark is definitely overrated, but the makers 46 is a pretty good improvement. Costco sells it for only a few bucks more than regular makers goes for.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #32
Dirt Daddy
Knows what a fatty is.

Not....My Makers Mark...maybe LTD...
Dirt Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #33
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I like the Octomores for the most part, though 4.2 wasn't as good as 4.1. I actually prefer Ardbeg Supernova, though.

My brother swears by Pappy Van Winkle, and, while it is just corn whiskey, the 15 year old is good, but it goes downhill as it gets older, in my opinion. The Van Winkle rye is better, I think, but I like rye over bourbon.

I'm now at 32 scotch varieties at home, and hoping to keep growin. Master of Malt now ships to the US!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #34
BBQMaverick
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymo View Post
Maker's Mark is one of the few "decent" whiskeys I've had that I just cannot drink. It comes off harsh and just unappealing compared to most. I realize I'm probably in a very small minority on this one. Still, give my Irish whiskey or something like Knob Creek over MM any day!

I do like scotch and can see the appeal of adding more smoke flavor, but I guess my inclination would be to reach for a bottle of something smokier to begin with. Seems like they are really trying to capitalize on the novelty/gimmick here.

We know good bourbon in KY. While i like Makers you might want to try Russels Reserve by Wild Turkey 10 year aged. I think if I wanted to add a smoke flavor I would try smoking my KY limestone springwater and freezing it into small ice cubes and pour my bourbon over that.
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #35
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
My brother swears by Pappy Van Winkle, and, while it is just corn whiskey, the 15 year old is good, but it goes downhill as it gets older, in my opinion. The Van Winkle rye is better, I think, but I like rye over bourbon.
It is absolutely not corn whiskey. There is a type of whiskey called corn whiskey, but its not pappy. Although pappy does use corn in it, there is also wheat and barley, and the barrels used are brand new unused white oak for every barrel as opposed to used barrels for corn whiskey. They are very different.

And the rye is also really good, but even harder to find than the 20 year.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #36
lfurl43142
On the road to being a farker

dont mess with perfection.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #37
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

LAPHROAIG. End of conversation.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #38
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Makers mark is pretty smokey by itself. I'd try a rawer project like Jack Daniels.
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #39
martyleach

I am certainly no historian, but I believe whiskey was derived from Scotch Whiskey. If you are from Scotland or the area, it is just called Whiskey. And there is a vast variety of flavors available. Astonishing actually that they have so many makers of Whiskey available in such a small area. I would consider a trip to England just to tour the Whiskey makers....

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #40
cmcadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
It is absolutely not corn whiskey. There is a type of whiskey called corn whiskey, but its not pappy. Although pappy does use corn in it, there is also wheat and barley, and the barrels used are brand new unused white oak for every barrel as opposed to used barrels for corn whiskey. They are very different.

And the rye is also really good, but even harder to find than the 20 year.
I've had all ages offered in the Pappy Van Winkles... and I'm joking a bit when I call it corn whiskey, but corn is definitely there. It's good bourbon, but still bourbon, which has a fairly narrow range of flavors, in my opinion. My brother's bar in Chicago is well-known for bourbons, and I've had a decent range of them. Scotch has a much wider variety in flavors overall, in my opinion, and I prefer the absence of the corn sweetness. I'm not saying I don't like bourbon, just that I prefer whisky over whiskey.

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)

Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #41
cmcadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I am certainly no historian, but I believe whiskey was derived from Scotch Whiskey. If you are from Scotland or the area, it is just called Whiskey. And there is a vast variety of flavors available. Astonishing actually that they have so many makers of Whiskey available in such a small area. I would consider a trip to England just to tour the Whiskey makers....
Typically, it's without the 'e' in Scotland, with the 'e' most other places, though Maker's Mark, I think, removes the 'e'.

Livefire Whisky

Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #42
STUMP52
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybomb View Post
Its a shame distilling is frowned upon by .gov type bodies in the US, i've thought a few times of the neat creations that could be made at home.
It's legal to make 10000 gals of ethanol per year. You can apply for a permit free of charge to make it. Just can't take it off your property unless it's cut with gasoline. But you can keep the pure stuff on your property. There's places that'll sell you the distillation equipment and "essences" so it smells
like apples and other fruits as it comes out your tailpipe! Buddy of mine manufactures the stills but there's several places to get em. Just google moonshine stills. You'll find plenty of sources.

Sent from my home rotary phone!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #43
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwylde1 View Post
Makers Mark is some good stuff to begin with. One of my favs.
One of the best screw tops out there.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #44
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa... let's give credit where credit is due. Although the Scots have been distilling for quite some time, the first written record of whiskey in Ireland (1405) predates the first reference in Scotland (1494) by almost a century.

And why would you want to go to England? All they make is gin.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #45
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezmatt View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa... let's give credit where credit is due. Although the Scots have been distilling for quite some time, the first written record of whiskey in Ireland (1405) predates the first reference in Scotland (1494) by almost a century.

And why would you want to go to England? All they make is gin.
WHAT'S WRONG WITH GIN???

Hmmm . . . I wonder if a guy could smoke gin . . .