used2bwood

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have a lg grill dome and Maverick ET-73 dual probe thermometer. For Thanksgiving I attempted to smoke an expensive 20 lb turkey @325-340 for an expected 5-6 hrs. It was done in 2 1/2 hr. The internal temp climbed quick and I didnt believe it ar first so I got dry breasts but excellent dark meat but not smokey.

For Christmas I attempted smoking a 6 1/2 pime grade standing rib roast @230. Should have taken 4 hrs done in just over 2 hrs 129 internal temp and a 20 min rest. Not very smokey. I've checked calibration of probes and they are right on.

I've successfully cooked the same meals on a wsm and weber kettle. I would like to keep the the kamado but unless something changes its gotta go.

Where have I gone wrong?

I have a lg grill dome and Maverick ET-73 dual probe thermometer. For Thanksgiving I attempted to smoke an expensive 20 lb turkey @325-340 for an expected 5-6 hrs. It was done in 2 1/2 hr. The internal temp climbed quick and I didnt believe it ar first so I got dry breasts but excellent dark meat but not smokey.

For Christmas I attempted smoking a 6 1/2 pime grade standing rib roast @230. Should have taken 4 hrs done in just over 2 hrs 129 internal temp and a 20 min rest. Not very smokey. I've checked calibration of probes and they are right on.

I've successfully cooked the same meals on a wsm and weber kettle. I would like to keep the the kamado but unless something changes its gotta go.

Where have I gone wrong?

Where are you measuring your cooking temps ?

Is the problem lack of smoke flavor? If so consider treating this smoker differently, kamado's typically need less air flow and make less smoke flavor. Knowing this I would experiment with different techniques and woods before calling it quits. I have an akorn kamado and while the smoke flavor is different, I think I would be able to dial it up if that is what I wanted.
On my akorn the thermometer is wildly off so I use a remote thermometer to measure temperature at the grate so on the other hand you may be cooking hotter than intended.
Take your time and change one thing at a time and you will be able to figure out how to make it do whatever you want.

Is the problem lack of smoke flavor? If so consider treating this smoker differently, kamado's typically need less air flow and make less smoke flavor.

I agree. I didn't know this until I got my primo and tried it.

Is the problem lack of smoke flavor? If so consider treating this smoker differently, kamado's typically need less air flow and make less smoke flavor..

Interested in some suggestions - I have an Akorn as well. Is it just adding more wood chunks? I use about 5-6 placed near where first lit.

Back