Canned Collards Shouldn't be so Good, but...

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
These collards shouldn't be so tasty! I had to do a late lunch today. So, I poked around the pantry to see what I had and spotted this can of collard greens. I've been watching my diet lately so I thought I'd go for them but I decided to gussy them up a little.

I added about 1 1/2 tsp of bacon fat to a saucepan, added about 1/2 of a chopped medium sized onion along with a pinch of granulated garlic, a pinch of salt, and about 1/2 tsp of black pepper. I let the onions cook for a little while and then added the can of collards.

When everything was hot, I put some in a bowl and gave it a splash of Texas Pete. Wow, these things were surprisingly good!

picture.php

Maybe collards are one of those foods that takes well to canning. They take a long time to cook, so that might be the thing

I haven't tried canned collards, but I made an awesome batch last week w/country ham hocks. I was considering mainlining the pot likker. :shocked:

I get "Glory" brand canned collard greens at Wal-Mart. Love 'em. Heat 'em and eat 'em right out of the can.

Good stuff, Maynard!

I've only tried one kind, I can never remember the brand name but they're called Southern style seasoned collards, or something like that. They're awesome! I think it must be the fact that they take forever to cook that they can survive the canning process. I like them nearly as well as fresh, and it's sure a whole lot easier. There is a ton of sodium in them though, if you're watching that sort of thing.

Love 'em but Haven't had good luck with the canned. What brand did you have. Will give them a try.

Mine were a local supermarket brand (Food Lion). Walmart has some pretty good canned collards too. They used to cost about .25 cents per can. I don't know what they are going for nowadays as I try to stay away from Walmart. I hate going into those stores for some reason.

My Dad plants turnip greens and Siberian kale every fall. He has a big patch of it growing now. The fresh stuff is good but takes a while to cook, as other have pointed out, except for the SK. That stuff cooks pretty quickly and is quite tasty cooked with smoked pork.

Boshizzle - you didn't put a bit of shack sauce in them? I'm shocked! :biggrin1:

Boshizzle - you didn't put a bit of shack sauce in them? I'm shocked! :biggrin1:

I would love to have but I'm out. It would have been quite tasty! I need to make another batch.

Mine were a local supermarket brand (Food Lion). Walmart has some pretty good canned collards too. They used to cost about .25 cents per can. I don't know what they are going for nowadays as I try to stay away from Walmart. I hate going into those stores for some reason.

It's the pis of you that people post to WalmartPeople.com ....

I tried frozen and they were OK!

These collards shouldn't be so tasty! I had to do a late lunch today. So, I poked around the pantry to see what I had and spotted this can of collard greens. I've been watching my diet lately so I thought I'd go for them but I decided to gussy them up a little.

I added about 1 1/2 tsp of bacon fat to a saucepan, added about 1/2 of a chopped medium sized onion along with a pinch of granulated garlic, a pinch of salt, and about 1/2 tsp of black pepper. I let the onions cook for a little while and then added the can of collards.

When everything was hot, I put some in a bowl and gave it a splash of Texas Pete. Wow, these things were surprisingly good!

picture.php

I like to do this with just about any greens, mustard, turnip, collards, spinach, poulk or lambs quarter we pick in the summer. Sometimes if I think of it I cut up a turnip into small cubes and toss them in or parsnips. Have not tried the pete sauce but that sounds good and so does the shak sauce witch I happen to have. I usually use cider vinegar on all of them. Almost forgot I like to go with, fried potatoes, pan fried liver and onions.
Dave

They cannery where they can the Glory brand collards as well as Margret Homes brands etc. is about 15 miles from my house and I pass it everyday going to work. When they can collards you can smell it for miles!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back