MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Default Twigette the tiny stick burner!

Ok, so after I finally got to see Smokin_D's tiny reverse flow, I figured I'd start building my own. Well a prototype and then simplify the thing for reproducing. Anyway.. I printed 3 pictures I took of Rich's little guy and one of a new Lang (which is more the design I prefer) and set out on a mission! I just started cutting and welding with only the idea I would build it as I go with only a vague idea of what it will be when it is done.

Meet "twiggy" Day 1...

This is the inspiration picture I hung up..

Here you see her from the end which will attach to the firebox.

Here you can see her open and the heat duct with grease drain running down it.

Finally, here you can see the end I have left open until last to make sure everything can go in and out of the main door.

The pipe I chose is just under 1/4" thick and so far, all the materials I have used have been at least 1/8" making her a tiny tank!

I hope to get some extra time this week to finish the firebox and get the exhaust on her not to mention build the trailer with lights! not sure if she will have Propane starter but I do like the setup on Rich's little bugger.

-Brian

Old 02-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking great! That thing looks pretty small, how big of a pipe is that??? 10"??? heh-heh....you're working on your 10" pipe...heh-heh!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
Norcoredneck

Awhile back you were asking questions in anticipation of building smokers to sell. Didn't know you would be working on such a grand scale. Nice looking work.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
Norcoredneck

Hey looked back at pics. Is that were you weld? Are you not afraid of damaging the CPU with RF or dust/smoke?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Hey looked back at pics. Is that were you weld? Are you not afraid of damaging the CPU with RF or dust/smoke?
Yeah, I have a draft hood for dust extraction, I also have everything isolated on it's own ciruit, and have the PC surge protected. I also blow the PC out with air daily. It's the PC that runs CAD for my CNC machine so it does see more than it's fair share of grinding and plasma dust. I don't store anything on it and it's like an 8 yearold computer someone gave to me when I started the business. I also have 2 more incase this one takes a dive. I do plan on building a computer cabinet eventually but for now, I am short on space and this is a fair trade.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

I am, in the next week or so, going to build a cart for my MIG and gas which will free up some work space along with a stand for my drill press. Then I can move the whole operation away from the computer. I will also skin the entire table in 1/8" steel so I can just set the project to be welded on it and ground the table. I was working with the piece you see below twiggy but as you can see, i've outgrown it. I plan to have as many as three building at one time and the space to keep them all going.

This is also at the same time as my hitch covers and grill grates. I think when summer comes, if I have the business to support it, I will try to hire another disabled vet friend of mine.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Nice work!(from a fellow fab man)
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Nice work on twiggy,can't wait to see the finished product. I also want to tell about the Wall Hanging you made for my BIL. I called Brian with a idea for my BIL's birthday and he really came thru for me. I talked to my BIL last night and he said the craftmanship was outstanding.This is a sketch that Brian sent to me.The finished product he sent directly to FL.Thanks Brother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fred Tractor.jpg (35.6 KB, 216 views)
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

You sure do nice work. That is going to be a great little smoker.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoker View Post
Nice work on twiggy,can't wait to see the finished product. I also want to tell about the Wall Hanging you made for my BIL. I called Brian with a idea for my BIL's birthday and he really came thru for me. I talked to my BIL last night and he said the craftmanship was outstanding.This is a sketch that Brian sent to me.The finished product he sent directly to FL.Thanks Brother.
Thanks to you! Glad I could help and get you a quality product.

On another note, I was just contacted by a brethren who let me know Rich's builder already has the rights to the name Twiggy and also asked me to take down the pictures of his build. it was an accident as I thought, tiny stick burner, why not call it twiggy?

I do see my build as an evolution and when complete, a completely different machine. I would like to apologize to Rich and the builder of his rig for feeling exploited and hope there are no hard feelings. I sent PMs so I hope to hear back.

Idea's for another name? I was thinking "Whole Dog Smoker" (meaning hot dog) or "Teeny Weeny"?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
jestridge

Very nice work we have a cnc plasma at sschool but havent run it yet we going to use a laptop. How hard are they to learn?
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
parrothead

Twigette? Or Buddy? itty-bitty?

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
bigabyte

Chip? (going with fuel idea minus twig reference)
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #14
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

How About TTS, (Tiny Trailer Smoker)
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
jmccann
Got Wood.

Looks like a great little unit. 1/4 material so far, should be a great steady heat unit.
You mentioned a cart for your welding gear, here's a pic of the one I build for mine. Just an idea. Started life as a HF yard cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart1.JPG (64.2 KB, 188 views)

Tags
custom build, fabrication, huntingdon county customs, mini bbq grill, mini reverse flow, smoker, stick burner