Trip to Austin And The TX Fall BBQ Bash-Take A Q Tour With Me (Massive Amount Of Pics)

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Finally took some time off to myself from my crazy schedule and the main reason for the trip was the TX Fall bbq Bash. Had a hell of a time and snapped along as I went.

yd2euWLh.jpg

Frognot met me down in Austin on Thursday and we hit up Valentina's Tex-Mex BBQ on Thursday

BLvDjLih.jpg

RFDSFtgh.jpg

Now, here you can get Tex-Mex or Traditional BBQ. Since we were doing Franklin's the next day we decided to try Tex-Mex

MiPaf2yh.jpg

Everything is smoked with mesquite as opposed to post oak which is more customary to Central TX

UTISUQch.jpg

Homemade tortillas, brisket and pulled pork carnitas tacos, queso, beans and bbq corn

tdKCpJsh.jpg

The pulled pork carnitas tacos. MAN I HAVE TO SAY THE TORTILLAS ARE THE BEST I'VE HAD. Out of this world good tacos

MGVQ3iLh.jpg

Chopped brisket tacos were farkin' outstandingly good also. Queso and bbq corn was excellent as well. Only thing I didn't care for were the charro beans. Bland for me.

7ApBftJh.jpg

So then it started to pour. The weather was in the 80's literally a couple hours ago. Charles said "Welcome to Texas":laugh:

9TAO82qh.jpg

Thunderstorm which continued pretty much until early Friday morning

WWK4LULh.jpg

So we decided to get indoors and went to Craft Pride in DT Austin for some craft brews and live music

fZxnOp4h.jpg

Next morning we rose early for Franklin's :clap2::clap2: The temps were in the low to mid 40's but we were troopers. Apparently not just us :biggrin1: This was a couple hours in line.

BmOiWWnh.jpg

Ji4aK3Mh.jpg

Yea buddy!

4T1fa1Zh.jpg

You can get in about 8:30am for beer, gear and restrooms

0V1lmlXh.jpg

aToF1A6h.jpg

It turns out we were also at the soft opening of the coffee trailer. No need to bring your own coffee or coffee drink anymore.

jmDqNdqh.jpg

I also heard through the grapevine that a breakfast taco truck is in works :becky:

c3Cu65Wh.jpg

Finally they let the line in

ckEEv7uh.jpg

HRVimHZh.jpg

My dude has some serious knife skill and an awesome guy at that

nZ1zFrLh.jpg

RBS94pEh.jpg

MdOAa3Nh.jpg

Chopped brisket sammies if anyone wants

eWL3rd2h.jpg

sFVD8nch.jpg

lh2FU23h.jpg

Guess who got some burnt ends :clap2:

EEZHwmth.jpg

1/2 lb lean, 1/2 lb moist, two bones of spares, burnt ends (AGAIN) 1/4lb turkey, Hatch sausage, TX toast and tater salad

zdEIoOrh.jpg

P0Ic6CKh.jpg

Some of the best ribs I've tasted. That black pepper just shines

vFpPGzMh.jpg

Brisket OUT OF THIS WORLD GOOD! Wow!!!!! No hype ladies and gentleman. This stuff is the real deal. Stays together perfect but pulls apart with no effort.

The turkey?? Oh my. I never thought I'd enjoy turkey this much. I can honestly say the best turkey breast I've ever had. Super moist to beging with and drenched in butter with the heavy note from the black pepper. Farkin' amazing!! HOMERUN!!

Y6stud1h.jpg

About summed it up I think :laugh:

8IHMv1Qh.jpg

Then we hit the smoker area

BylGsQvh.jpg

VTIU9e8h.jpg

Just beautiful! These is how the magic happens.

all1Elyh.jpg

Hell of a time at Franklins and by night we hit this place. From what I got a convenience store initially but now craft beer, beer and wine, Indian food, live band and in Austin. :mrgreen:

4aXm8r4h.jpg

QXz3HMlh.jpg

nIDYh4xh.jpg

The tikka masala was very, very good especially chased down with craft beer

Bqc1AMuh.jpg

Last edited:
Next day was Bash day:clap2::clap2: Got lost for a quick minute but it was nice cruising through the back roads

3gsjupqh.jpg

More like it

IYDX2F7h.jpg

sktaFXOh.jpg

Great time at the bash eating and meeting people. Check out the dedicated thread with plenty more pics. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275773

47jSHI2h.jpg

DVWBBPih.jpg

1IYjVGwh.jpg

TQPIkeAh.jpg

On Sunday Andy (LYU370), his brother Bubba from AR and I hit Black's in Lockhart. Luckily we made it there on the 8th day of the week. :heh:

GM7Wmjzh.jpg

uDXwUkLh.jpg

This was my plate. I think Andy and I agreed that we weren't really impressed and at best the food was meh. Brisket was on the dry side (even the point), sausage (the original) crumbly I couldn't finish and sides left much to be desired. Tater salad and green beans were edible.

E5FARGbh.jpg

Welp, since we couldn't really do more bbq we hit San Antonio! :clap2:

yCxE9Yjh.jpg

tjQg0kyh.jpg

IrFCfYrh.jpg

ddCvWmPh.jpg

CILpSzLh.jpg

Toured Alamo

r5xbhrqh.jpg

KaKzjsjh.jpg

ioonKnlh.jpg

Hit River Walk next

mQLio8yh.jpg

12mH6Qjh.jpg

oiNKXhsh.jpg

fks2c0Qh.jpg

Some TX sized "Rita's on the River" :biggrin1:

Y3948pQh.jpg

May not look it but these things were 32oz's each

ES8wtAch.jpg

Then stopped at this station for Bubba. He loves locomotives I found out. :-D

L8Q8inih.jpg

Xh6bleSh.jpg

vcOV90zh.jpg

Mcy84Ugh.jpg

I told them to take me West :becky:

thlpbQ4h.jpg

They told me to move along! :laugh:

So we drove back to Austin

A8Sx6qyh.jpg

Then of course next day I had to fill up at Buc-ee's

tFa4D0gh.jpg

W4F46vWh.jpg

fbLclrOh.jpg

Me2BJO9h.jpg

You can find anything here from smokers, to bbq to snack even pellet grills

6VFJuRwh.jpg

qutTKPRh.jpg

At this point I think I'm going to cut off the pics. Too dang many as it is but as you know everything in TX is big including pic threads. Thanks for looking!!!

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed yourself. Hope you get to come back. I know we all had a great time hanging out with you. I always thought you were a really good guy on here. Now we know for sure. So glad you were there to take care of old frognot! We give him hell but we need him. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Hope you get to come back. I know we all had a great time hanging out with you. I always thought you were a really good guy on here. Now we know for sure. So glad you were there to take care of old frognot! We give him hell but we need him. [emoji1787]

Thanks Paul! Feeling is mutual brother. It won't be my last for sure. Great meeting you and the TX brethren. Great bunch of gentlemen. Real pleasure. Glad I was there with Frognot for sure.

Sounds and looks like a great trip! I get a kick out of buccee’s....they have anything and everything it seems

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Someday I want to make my way down to Texas and do a BBQ tour...only 8 hours or so to Dallas....

Looks like you had a GREAT trip :thumb:

Sounds and looks like a great trip! I get a kick out of buccee’s....they have anything and everything it seems

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heck yeah! I brought this home :mrgreen:

cLgGANxh.jpg

Someday I want to make my way down to Texas and do a BBQ tour...only 8 hours or so to Dallas....

Thanks Suds! Def worth it. I couldn't make it to Truth or Miklethwait's because both were closed Monday. Heard about Miklethwaits there but Truth was on my list. Not enough time but there is always next time.

This is Epic.

Looks like you had an amazing trip!

Thanks brother! So much to do and so little time. Good thing is there is always next time.

Looks like a great trip Neighbor!
I love Buc-ee's. :laugh::grin:

Thanks for the share Sako, looks like a year put into a few days.

North Texas Spring Bash would be a good time to do that trip. Smitty could be your tour guide. We talked about this Saturday. [emoji848]

Fun trip!
You gotta be ready for a burger after all that Cue :grin:

How cool. I live in Austin so I know all those sites well. I bought my GMG DB Wifi at that very Buccee's.

Being able to go to Franklin's, Micklethwait and so many other's on a daily basis is what makes it hard for me to appreciate my own cooking. Those are some very hi bars. One of my personal favorites is Miller's in Belton.

I saw the get together and wanted to come but I'm new here and felt awkward. Maybe next year.

How cool. I live in Austin so I know all those sites well. I bought my GMG DB Wifi at that very Buccee's.

Being able to go to Franklin's, Micklethwait and so many other's on a daily basis is what makes it hard for me to appreciate my own cooking. Those are some very hi bars. One of my personal favorites is Miller's in Belton.

I saw the get together and wanted to come but I'm new here and felt awkward. Maybe next year.

Wish you would've. Put it on your calendar next year for sure. We'd love to meet you or shall I say ya!! :mrgreen: The brethren spirit is different so I encourage you to show up and post up. Especially that you live in the BBQ mecca.

North Texas Spring Bash would be a good time to do that trip. Smitty could be your tour guide. We talked about this Saturday. [emoji848]

I’ll keep that in mind for sure :thumb:

Back