MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
realspaazz
Take a breath!

Default What not to do.

So, I was cooking some chicken wings for tonight on the WSM. As I was pouring water into the water pan, I had a seemingly brilliant thought...If I only added enough water for the first part of the cook, when the water ran out the temp would automatically ramp itself up and crisp up the skin nicely. Just before two hours into the cook, the water runs out, the temp starts to rise, and the chicken fat that had rendered out into the water-pan starts to hit the smoke point. Billowing nasty smelling smoke pouring out of the smoker. I quickly grabbed a gallon of hot water, pulled the racks (wings and all) and refilled the waterpan. Sauced the wings (1/3 of the wings teriaki, 1/3 in sweet chili sauce, and 1/3 in butter and crystal hot sauce) Fortunately the wings tasted great. Who knew that Smoked chicken wings, bean dip, and homemade chocolate chip cookies (thanks to my daughter) would go well with Downton Abbey?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why on earth you would ever want to cook wings for more than 2 hours.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm glad it all worked out. Mark it down as a lesson learned.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
KotaChuk678
On the road to being a farker

Yeah, really!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Whut iz a abbey???? I thought football wuz on tonite.Thought that iz.pitiful.Water in da pan iz a waste of time and water.Glad you liked it. next time member whut u did this time that wuz not up to par and don't do it no more.Stinky cheeken greese smoke is gross.

I like to wrap the empty water pan top and bottom with HDAF leaving a void between the top layer and bottom of pan.Let the top droop a little to catch drippings but not come in contact with the bottom,thus preventing the situation you observed today.

Glad it turned out O.K. For you.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Why would anyone want to cook chicken low and slow? Chicken should be cooked at 325+ for best results.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
Why would anyone want to cook chicken low and slow? Chicken should be cooked at 325+ for best results.
Especially wings which I prefer fried!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

To each their own, know a guy who won't cook hotter than 215 for chicken.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
IamMadMan

Glad you salvaged your wings and it worked out well for you.

I usually smoke wings for 30 minutes for flavor, then crisp up on the grill or in the fryer before saucing.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
bigabyte

Great idea aobut crisping up by having a measured amount of water. Could be useful!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote