MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
linhardt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default American Royal Judging.... Who's going? and a question for invitational judging veterans

I have judged several KCBS sanctioned events, but this is my first time at judging the invitational at the American Royal. I am excited to have the opportunity. How many others on here are judging the Invitational or Open?

I know at regular sanctioned events you are allowed to take home your leftovers from judging in a cooler. Does this still hold true for the Invitational? I have seen pics of the judges at older invitational events, but do not see any small coolers, etc. under the tables or seats. If anyone can enlighten me on if this is allowed or not I would be greatly appreciated.
linhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Must... resist... temptation...
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Jeff_in_KC

Ok I can't! How about focusing on judging and not so much what you're going to get to take home before you even arrive???

If it makes any difference and you are better able to sample what's presented to you, skip carrying away the half-eaten meat and come by my site at 933 after judging and I'll GIVE you some samples to take home.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

I will be there judging, this will be my 3rd year. I'm judging or table captain both the invite and the open.

Jeff is right though, focus on judging not what your taking home. I doubt you meant it to sound like that but it does. Especially to the guys that are cooking.

Go and have fun judging and go out and meet the teams after judging. Most are very friendly and will answer questions you might have. You will have a blast and theres always plenty of food and party festivities going on. Just a great time.

To answer your question. The last couple of years they did allow you to bring your cooler. I have never brought one and don't plan on it.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Jeff_in_KC

"Adopt a Judge" program! Every team "adopt" a judge and provide a few samples of every category right after judging (the judge has to come by your site) and we eliminate the need for coolers in the judging area and nibbled-on meat that doesn't give a team a fair assessment of their entries.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
"Adopt a Judge" program! Every team "adopt" a judge and provide a few samples of every category right after judging (the judge has to come by your site) and we eliminate the need for coolers in the judging area and nibbled-on meat that doesn't give a team a fair assessment of their entries.
Jeff for President!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Jeff for President!
Its not like he didn't try!! I agree withe no coolers. I would be glad to give them some samples.
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Jeff for President!
Jorge, if you can get the "ticket" organized, I'll give serious consideration to giving it another try.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Its not like he didn't try!! I agree withe no coolers. I would be glad to give them some samples.

I would also give samples if they would take a propper bite....
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
linhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Ok I can't! How about focusing on judging and not so much what you're going to get to take home before you even arrive???

If it makes any difference and you are better able to sample what's presented to you, skip carrying away the half-eaten meat and come by my site at 933 after judging and I'll GIVE you some samples to take home.

Who ever said I was not going to focus on judging? I take my judging seriously!! You tell me that I am not a good judge?? Can't focus on judging prior to arriving anyway, right? Can only focus on it when it is presented to me for judging.

About 80 - 90% of certified judges that I have witnessed in all the KCBS sanctioned events I attended brought coolers. I did not the first few times, but thought why not, its not against the rules. Some may frown upon it and some do not, but unless the event does not allow it, then whats the harm?

Are you telling me that at those events, the judges that brought coolers did not take the judging seriously compared to the ones that did not? What does bringing a cooler have to do with people not focusing on judging?

I love BBQ in both the eating and cooking aspect of it, and is the reason that I got certified as a judge. I wanted to learn all I can so that I can try to produce the best BBQ that I can. Whats the harm in bringing home the little bit that is left over from what I have on my judging plate?

I know I can go by the pits and get lots of free samples. I dont care about that, Im not in it to just get free food. Just asking a simple question for some information prior to me entering the gate. Nothing to do with how I judge or my ability to judge.

But then again may be you are the BBQ god that creates the BBQ contest rules that all should follow and obey.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by linhardt View Post
Who ever said I was not going to focus on judging? I take my judging seriously!! You tell me that I am not a good judge?? Can't focus on judging prior to arriving anyway, right? Can only focus on it when it is presented to me for judging.

About 80 - 90% of certified judges that I have witnessed in all the KCBS sanctioned events I attended brought coolers. I did not the first few times, but thought why not, its not against the rules. Some may frown upon it and some do not, but unless the event does not allow it, then whats the harm?

Are you telling me that at those events, the judges that brought coolers did not take the judging seriously compared to the ones that did not? What does bringing a cooler have to do with people not focusing on judging?

I love BBQ in both the eating and cooking aspect of it, and is the reason that I got certified as a judge. I wanted to learn all I can so that I can try to produce the best BBQ that I can. Whats the harm in bringing home the little bit that is left over from what I have on my judging plate?

I know I can go by the pits and get lots of free samples. I dont care about that, Im not in it to just get free food. Just asking a simple question for some information prior to me entering the gate. Nothing to do with how I judge or my ability to judge.

But then again may be you are the BBQ god that creates the BBQ contest rules that all should follow and obey.
Jeff's point is that there ARE judges that will nibble at their sample to load up to take food home. His concern is that SOME judges will NOT sample enough of a given entry to give the cook a fair score.

HIS suggestion, is that judges can come get all they want after they are done judging, to maintain the fairness and integrity of the judging.

I think he's right. It gives cooks the fair shot they deserve, and it gives judges the chance to take home some great BBQ. If your interest is to learn about BBQ I can't see a better option, than being able to spend a few minutes actually talking to the cook that prepared the food you can take home.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I think what Jeff (and some others of us cooks that are also judges) are trying to say is that we see judges that only take little nibbles while judging and then stuff all of the rest in the cooler for later .... regardless if they score it a 2 or a 9. (Why even think about taking something home that's not at least an 8? (just my opinion)).

From a safety point of view, I wouldn't recommend taking chicken home. That's not safe and it can cross contaminate the other foods in your cooler.

I like Jeff's idea about adopting a team, I'd also be happy to give a judge a properly cooled gallon zip lock after the competition.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
linhardt

thanks Jorge, KC_bobby, and rweller. That is good info and I understand and respect your points and comments. Maybe my question seemed like all I wanted was the leftovers. I apologize for that as it was not my intention. But I could not just sit there and left anyone tell me to focus on judging when that is what I do at every event. My interpretation of what was said was a hit at my judging ability and that I'm only in it for the leftovers. And apologize if interpreted incorrectly. I know that this has been an issue in the past forum discussion and is somewhat of a touchy subject, but it was not my intent either to bring it up again to debate the cooler issue.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by linhardt View Post
thanks Jorge, KC_bobby, and rweller. That is good info and I understand and respect your points and comments. Maybe my question seemed like all I wanted was the leftovers. I apologize for that as it was not my intention. But I could not just sit there and left anyone tell me to focus on judging when that is what I do at every event. My interpretation of what was said was a hit at my judging ability and that I'm only in it for the leftovers. And apologize if interpreted incorrectly. I know that this has been an issue in the past forum discussion and is somewhat of a touchy subject, but it was not my intent either to bring it up again to debate the cooler issue.
I don't think Jeff was questioning you as an individual. It's a topic that comes up frequently and one that he has some strong opinions, based on his experience, about. Stop by to see him at the Royal and I bet you'll walk away with a completely different perception.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
linhardt

I will probably do that Jorge if I get the chance. There is a lot of things to check out after I'm done judging. This is all still a learning process for me to gain good skills in being a respected bbq cook and judge. Thanks.