Beer can chicken on the UDS

B

BobF

Gotta a chicken in the fridge and wanna do it on the UDS tommorrow.
I am thinking I would apply rub and setup for beer can like I do on the grill. Run the UDS around 325 and cook like I did on the gasser.
Comments, suggestions?

If you got time 275 on gauge on side for 45 min. then ramp to 375 on gauge on side. Should take 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Brine It

I recommend you brine the bird for a few hours. Even though beer can chicken almost gaurantees the meat won't be dried out, it still makes a huge difference. I like to put in honey in my brine, I think it gives the skin a more golden hue when it comes out.

Never tried beer can chicken, so looking forward to the pics...

OK here it is.

Well I got few (very few) hours off after working 10pm to 1pm next morning. I am nomally an 8-5 guy, this is not what I am used to .
SO here is the chicken.

It came out real good. First time for this on UDS. Wife loved it, thats a plus.
I love my UDS!

Attachments

• Chicken.jpg
    Chicken.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 363
Did 3 beer can chickens on gas grill yesterday.Injected creole butter night before and applied rub twice.Cooked 1hr 50min's @ 340f to 350f.Turned out great with lots of compliments.

Well I got few (very few) hours off after working 10pm to 1pm next morning. I am nomally an 8-5 guy, this is not what I am used to .
SO here is the chicken.

It came out real good. First time for this on UDS. Wife loved it, thats a plus.
I love my UDS!
So what temp/method did you go with?

I sprayed the bird with some Pam. Coated it with a slightly modified Magic Dust from the recipe in Mike Mills book (Plowboys Yardbird hasn't gotten here yet) and cooked it about like Norco suggested. Started about 275 and ramped up to finish. Took about 1 hr 50 minutes.
The meat was awesome. The skin is not quite right. A little on the leathery side.

I never eat the skin anyway. I can't ever get it to come out right.

I do put some extra effort into getting the rub under the skin.

I do BCC on my drum at 275 for 2 hours.
  • coat bird with olive oil
  • rub with 50% Pappy's Salt Free rub (it was on clearance) and 50% Lawrey's
  • drink half of the beer and pierce the sides of can near top
  • insert 5-6 cloves garlic (crushed w/ flat side of a knife) into beer can
Family loves it.

After chicken is cooked I pull off the can and toss em around on the grill on hi heat,gives it that grilled look and improves skin texture. personal preference

Looks great. Did you plug the neck with anything? I don't know if it makes a difference in holding in the moisture from the beer, but I usually put an onion or apple in the neck to seal in the moisture / add a little flavor.

Looks great. Did you plug the neck with anything? I don't know if it makes a difference in holding in the moisture from the beer, but I usually put an onion or apple in the neck to seal in the moisture / add a little flavor.

I didn't plug the neck, never have, the chicken is always very moist. The flavor part I hadn't thought about. Maybe I need to for the flavor factor.
An onion would be good. Lots of others too. I may have to try that next time. Anyone tried an orange or orange half?

I like to get the smoke through the birds, the more the merrier!

100_1895.jpg

Back