can wet briquettes be saved?

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I cooked burgers last night and like a genius, left 2/3 bag of kingsford on the porch. It rained a good bit today, and when i got back to the house and realized what i had done, the bag was wet. I have used lump after it has gotten wet (just waited a while to do so) but didn't know if this was worth hanging on to, or if it wouldn't burn the same now. Thanks for the help.

The ones in the bottom of the bag are likely toast, they have probably already turned to powder if you dump the bag out. If you can feel moisture on the charcoal when you handle it, the bag is ruint. I did the same thing last weekend (only rain we've had in 5 months!) and I saved about 2/3 of the bag.

In my experience, if charcoal has any appreciable moisture in it, it won't burn worth a flip.

funny i set up my chimney before i left yesterday with the intentions of lighting it after our get together with some friends and it rained so i thought the same thing.

Thanks guys. I'll throw it out in the morning. I still have a ton from those $6 off coupons back in 09. Which brings up another question, does charcoal go bad? I have it stacked on a pallet in my workshop.

Thanks guys. I'll throw it out in the morning. I still have a ton from those $6 off coupons back in 09. Which brings up another question, does charcoal go bad? I have it stacked on a pallet in my workshop.

If it's dry, it should be good to go! :thumb:

Back