MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #31
Jam Jam
Knows what a fatty is.

Do you notice any diminished smoke flavor or can you tell the difference from one smoked the entire time on an offset?
Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #32
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam Jam View Post
Do you notice any diminished smoke flavor or can you tell the difference from one smoked the entire time on an offset?
I'd say it's good. Not the smokiest brisket on the world. The smoke flavor is a subtle byproduct of the wood burning procces. I believe its best when its noticeable but doesn't stand out.

Last edited by Ron_L; 12-18-2017 at 09:59 AM..
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #33
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

I too have developed a method utilizing my oven for a long hold and then into a cooler for an even longer rest. Seems to work well.

Can't wait to try butcher paper soon when I get mine the Cheez ordered for me.
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #34
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I'd say it's good. Not the smokiest brisket on the world. The smoke flavor is a subtle byproduct of the wood burning procces. I believe its best when its noticeable but doesn't stand out.

I think it's impossible to get too much smoke on a brisket. Beef just doesn't seem to take smoke like pork / chicken. I like heavy smoke myself.
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #35
Bob O Q Shawtee
On the road to being a farker

Jam you will notice many people striving for a less smoky fire to prevent overdoing it. 5 hours on a stick burner put's enough smoke into meat for most of us.
Bob O Q Shawtee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #36
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Exclamation

16472973_10212272084186162_3231207305067851600_n.jpgI am glad you wrote this. A few years ago you would have gotten a little beef over the use of oven. To this I say, look; competition people do it all the way because its in the rules and their manhood. After a while we have nothing to prove.

16299250_10212272084146161_1602038946160729520_n.jpg

I have a roaster outside that is dedicated to briskets. I can have four. But one stays on a table and I just bring in the pan and lid part when done. I secretly call it the "big lie" and when people come over, its there; offering its peppery smell and turned down to 170 or so - maybe lower. I don't tell them its been in there since the morning (I typically do overnights and cook really low (like 200) or early mornings and a bit higher 230 until it close then a 180 or lower ride in. Remember you are cooking the meat.
And I typically fire up the UDS low or with the PBC - small fire and low for the cooking of sausage or what-nots when the guests arrive. By the way... some of my best chicken is pulled at 140 (knuckle still bound) and plopped in a 160=170 roaster for a long, tender ride up. This is a Papa;s BBQ trick.

But back to briskets - You can also smoke to color, vac, freeze - thaw unwrap and throw in the roaster overnight. This takes forever so its an overnight strategy. On roasters generally, unless elevating on a substantive rack keep the fat STILL down.

A lot of this started when I stored my stick burner and started in on the UDS and PBC. On the UDS (and remember my UDS burns 21 hours) I was too cheap to use the rest of the coals so on the roaster it went. no bbq smell in the kitchen either (gets old).

The PBC was simply hook... cook... drop when you have the color.

Then when I went to brisket tacos I really did this.

Part of the reason we have for slow starts is ring and smoke taste. After a bit you really don't take on much more. Then a fast ride to that all encompassing, fat rendering, collagen slathering point....then... slow... slow as you stay in that "nearly done" mode.

Its how long you can stay in that zone that true magic occurs.

i so loved u shared this

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2017, 10:18 PM   #37
PatAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Attachment 138784I am glad you wrote this. A few years ago you would have gotten a little beef over the use of oven. To this I say, look; competition people do it all the way because its in the rules and their manhood. After a while we have nothing to prove.

Attachment 138785

I have a roaster outside that is dedicated to briskets. I can have four. But one stays on a table and I just bring in the pan and lid part when done. I secretly call it the "big lie" and when people come over, its there; offering its peppery smell and turned down to 170 or so - maybe lower. I don't tell them its been in there since the morning (I typically do overnights and cook really low (like 200) or early mornings and a bit higher 230 until it close then a 180 or lower ride in. Remember you are cooking the meat.
And I typically fire up the UDS low or with the PBC - small fire and low for the cooking of sausage or what-nots when the guests arrive. By the way... some of my best chicken is pulled at 140 (knuckle still bound) and plopped in a 160=170 roaster for a long, tender ride up. This is a Papa;s BBQ trick.

But back to briskets - You can also smoke to color, vac, freeze - thaw unwrap and throw in the roaster overnight. This takes forever so its an overnight strategy. On roasters generally, unless elevating on a substantive rack keep the fat STILL down.

A lot of this started when I stored my stick burner and started in on the UDS and PBC. On the UDS (and remember my UDS burns 21 hours) I was too cheap to use the rest of the coals so on the roaster it went. no bbq smell in the kitchen either (gets old).

Part of the reason we have for slow starts is ring and smoke taste. After a bit you really don't take on much more. Then a fast ride to that all encompassing, fat rendering, collagen slathering point....then... slow... slow as you stay in that "nearly done" mode.

i so loved u shared this
One of the Masters speaks!!

Thank you, Donnie.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #38
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Embedded in this video is the truth. it was always there. right at 8:23 in

Edict.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:34 PM   #39
PatAttack

If only they'd read between the "lines".

Don't stop.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #40
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Attachment 138784I am glad you wrote this. A few years ago you would have gotten a little beef over the use of oven. To this I say, look; competition people do it all the way because its in the rules and their manhood. After a while we have nothing to prove.

Attachment 138785

i so loved u shared this

Your big lie looks alot like my big lie. By the time company shows up the brisket has been done. Ill fire up the smoker for effect and through some chicken or sausage. No more folks waiting for lunch to finish and i didn't have to lose any sleep over it.

Interesting timing with this thread being bumped in Qtalk on the heels of the sauna girl thread (or was that the they took sauna girl away support group thread) where i leaked a tip buried by you 16 pages deep in the woodpile thread. That all coming on the heals of the mexicoid brisket thead in which you used "the big lie" in that process. It seems the circle is complete.

Last edited by Ron_L; 12-18-2017 at 09:59 AM..
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2017, 12:42 AM   #41
charcoal4brains
On the road to being a farker

Yup, I oak-smoke a chunk o' beef @ 225F for three hours or so, then "wrap in ceramic" not foil ... braise in the crock pot till it is FOTB.
charcoal4brains is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #42
hurricanedavid
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome job

Old 02-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #43
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Well... Remember, years ago I put out the "night train brisket" which had a primary goal of showing feel and potential of the meat before you go and try it with real equipment.

the other day I needed to do some trigg ribs. Once the smoke was done... After the wrap... Guess where the ribs went?... Then of course they were set on the pit again.

I wish to also point out that a week later I tried it on my PBC and burned the **** out of them .... What is the variable? No heat shield. But what got me back on track the quickest is in my mind... I still knew I COULD get there cuz I did with the big lie. I could more quickly modify knowing that too. By the way.... I read somewhere that triggs glaze sets with just the heat in the foil and not put back in. I can't seem to do that.

Edict.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #44
Burnbern
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm going to try this when I've finished building my smoker soon!

Old 02-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #45
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

saaaaaaauuuuuunnnnaaa girl. bob would hit dat!

Edict.

Tags
brisket, flash powder, hot & slow, pig honey, pitmaster t, smoke ninja, The big lie, Weep and read