MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
imaisufan
On the road to being a farker

Default how many lbs of pork butt on a 22 wsm?

Hi all,

Just got recruited to smoke pork butt for a couple of events (one for 75 people and another for 150).

Good news is that I have two weekends to get it cooked (will freeze and they'll reheat). About how many pounds of pork can go on a 22" WSM and still leave plenty of room for ventiliation?

Has anyone ever stacked them? I'm thinking about 4, 6 to 7 pounders per rack?

I want to guage properly for charcoal useage, too. Thanks!
imaisufan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Just did three 8 1/2 pounders on the top rack. They were cooked at 250* and finished to 190* internal in 5 1/5 hours. So I would think you get get another three on the bottom rack. I would swap racks at the three hour mark. It will probalbly take about 6 - 6 1/2 hours total. That should give you 51#s of Butt and about 30#s pulled.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
TheHam
Found some matches.

I have cooked 8 10 pounders on mine before 4 on each rack. No ventilation problems what so ever. I cooked them for 10 hours if I remember correctly. It took about 1 and 1/2 bags of kingsford comp.
TheHam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

You should have no problems doing 4 per rack on the 22. Ventilation will be just fine. I've done 4 picnics on the 18.5 (2 per rack) and it had no problems getting the job done. Start out from the get go with plenty of coal so you don't need to refuel. If you have fuel leftover...........toss in some fatties or something. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
imaisufan

Thanks gents! Kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, but I've never cooked so much for so many. In fact have rarely used the 2nd rack.
I guess that's why I got the big one! I'm hoping to do it for them, but I'm not sure if I can complete with a local BBQ caterer who'll do it for $8.00 a pound. Hard to compete with a restaurant who wouldn't think twice about throwing on another 8 or 9 butts. All great info, and will certainly put it to use for the smaller of the two cooks!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
imaisufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaisufan View Post
Thanks gents! Kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, but I've never cooked so much for so many. In fact have rarely used the 2nd rack.
I guess that's why I got the big one! I'm hoping to do it for them, but I'm not sure if I can complete with a local BBQ caterer who'll do it for $8.00 a pound. Hard to compete with a restaurant who wouldn't think twice about throwing on another 8 or 9 butts. All great info, and will certainly put it to use for the smaller of the two cooks!
Ok. I lost my mind last night and forgot how to multiply. 50 lbs cooked * $8.00 per lb = $400.00. I can get this done for around $200.00.