MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
jimctin
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default 18 lbs of Pork Shoulder

G'day Everyone

Next weekend I am doing an 18# whole pork shoulder for the Mother in law's birthday. I have done picnics and butts before but not the whole shoulder. People are coming over around 7:30 Friday night. I have searched and read a bunch of threads on the subject and this is the plan I have come up with: ( I am using a Weber Genesis S-330)

Rub the pork Wednesday night and let sit for at least 24 hours.
Strart the q up and get my Hickory wood chips smoking
Get the temp stable around 225 and put the pork on
Smoke for 6 hours (indirect)
Total cook time of 16-20 hours or until the pork is around 200 or the bones come out freely

Does this sound about right?
jimctin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Sounds about right. Personally i would cook hotter, around 250 or so. There isn't anything magical with 225. i would also have an extra tank of propane

Give yourself extra time just in case. If the shoulder is done early you can wrap it in foil and put it into a dry cooler wrapped up in towels and it will stay hot for hours.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
kennedyma
On the road to being a farker

The biggest thing I've learned with Pork is that you can hold it forever, but you can't rush it.

I would leave yourself plenty of time to cook it, you can aways hold it in an oven at 200 or wrapped in a cooler. I say cook at 250 also, you will shave some hours off your cook.
I've been doing my butts at 275 lately and been really liking the results. It not that they are better then the ones I did at 225, they are the same just cooked quicker.
kennedyma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

250 to 275 works best for us also ...... good luck ..
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I cook whole shoulders, 17-21# regularly. They're my favorite, because I can't really decide which is best between the butt or the picnic; best to just have both! :-)

On my smoker, which is a reverse flow and has a little of a convection type of thing going on, it doesn't take me any longer to smoke a 20# whole shoulder as it does a 9# butt. I think it's because the meat is no more dense or thick. Anyway, I and we (the team) smoke around the 250-260 range and have had very good success here. I inject, and I then foil around that 4.5 hour mark. They're DONE DONE DONE between that 9th and 10th hour.

As far as rubs and injections, I rub only an hour or so before I put the meat on the smoker. For one thing, if you have much salt in that rub, sitting overnight can get you a pretty salty piece of meat (IMHO). We also inject at that same time, usually within 2 hours of going on smoke.

For ease, once you've finished with the smoke (for us it's 4.5 hours, sounds like you're wanting 6), you can move this indoors and into your oven, which tends to hold temperatures better. Again, 255 would be a great setting.

I've had them wrapped for 10 hours before and still piping hot when we opened them up for pulling... I do prefer them wrapped for 1 to 2 hours though; 1 minimum. They just seem to become that-much-more moist.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
jimctin
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for all the suggestions> I will let you all know how it turns out
jimctin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote: