Freezing smoked brisket?

HarleyGirl14226

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Due to circumstances beyond our control (death in family), we've just had a last minute cancellation of a catering job - so last minute that the meats were already on the smoker.

Has anyone out there taken fully cooked brisket and frozen it to be used at a later date? What were the results?

Only for personal use..leftovers.. but I usually slice it then vacuum seal. When I want to reheat, just drop in boiling water for a little bit.
Not as good as fresh.. but not bad.

I've been pre-cooking and freezing briskets for vending with good results. I slice the brisket, put them in 1/2 size aluminum steam pans, then add some liquid and put on the lid. You want to make sure you're cooling the meat down quick enough to stay within the safe zone. I place the pans of sliced brisket in a large cooler filled with ice water to get the cooling started. The pans then go into the freezer. I do the same with pulled pork.

What Trucky says, I add low sodium Au Jus to the pans of brisket, and small amount of apple juice to the Butts and I have never had a complaint.

I've been pre-cooking and freezing briskets for vending with good results. I slice the brisket, put them in 1/2 size aluminum steam pans, then add some liquid and put on the lid. You want to make sure you're cooling the meat down quick enough to stay within the safe zone. I place the pans of sliced brisket in a large cooler filled with ice water to get the cooling started. The pans then go into the freezer. I do the same with pulled pork.

I've heard of vacuum sealing that way for long term storage. How long can you freeze in a steam pan? And what's the best way to reheat?

Chris

Only for personal use..leftovers.. but I usually slice it then vacuum seal. When I want to reheat, just drop in boiling water for a little bit.
Not as good as fresh.. but not bad.

I've used this method many times - works very well. Just don't fill those 12" food saver bags bigger than your biggest pot will handle. Did that more than once...:doh:

You freeze the entire pan? just a pan with the foil lid on it? I usually slice and put in a freezer bag and get as much air out as possible, then reheat covered back in the oven after I thaw it out.

If just putting the pans in the freezer work... I may have to give it a shot!

Thanks for the advice everyone... We've actually managed to sell the two pans of pork, and froze the brisket whole (which was done before I had a chance to see if anyone had suggestions). So - We figure we'll use some au jus when it gets thawed/sliced. We'll be sure to let you know how that one works out.
:rolleyes:

Back