BWS Extended Party or Fat Boy?

pigsmoke

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I'm on the new side for posting here, but I've lurked a bit. I've done a fair bit of research and reading about different cookers and have arrived at purchasing a water smoker. I plan on hitting 5-10 competitions this year (gauging success and fun, I may get into doing 20+ competitions a year) and originally was thinking of buying a single big cooker, but have decided that I'd probably rather have 2 smaller cookers instead so I can cook at different temps and have slightly different cooking conditions. I'm now down to between a BWS Extended Party vs Fat Boy.

If you were in my shoes, which way would you lean and why?

Total cooking space wise the fatboy might give you a little more room. You mentioned you want 2 smaller cookers. Do you know what your 2nd cooker will be and do you have an idea of which meats you will cook on each? I use a G2 Party and a G2 Chubby and like the setup.

I'm thinking the 2nd cooker will probably be a G2 Chubby or possibly a Party (not G2), but I'm not sure just yet. I'm planning on this cooker to be briskets & shoulders and the other cooker to probably be ribs & chicken. I wouldn't be against having a pair of Fat Boy or Extended Party cookers once I get used to cooking on the new one.

I use a Party for my brisket, butt, and ribs, and a UDS for my chicken. With proper timing a Party will cook the three meats perfectly. The only downside is the inability to use full pans, but this has not been a major issue. We like a separate cooker for the chicken so we can get the temps higher.

I'm thinking the 2nd cooker will probably be a G2 Chubby or possibly a Party (not G2), but I'm not sure just yet. I'm planning on this cooker to be briskets & shoulders and the other cooker to probably be ribs & chicken. I wouldn't be against having a pair of Fat Boy or Extended Party cookers once I get used to cooking on the new one.

Gotcha. We run the big meats on the G2 Party and those come off before chicken goes on. The G2 Chubby is only for ribs. This setup works really well as all the meats (I'm lumping pork & brisket together here) are on at their own time. So I don't have to open the cooker to check my big meats multiple times while ribs are on the same cooker and how that opening and closing of doors can affect cook times.

I would think a Fatboy and G2 chubby or regular party would be a good setup.

If using full size pans on your bigger meats is something you want to do you could consider the G2 Fatboy as well; Andy Bangs (username: abangs) should have some in early next month. I'm not certain, but I think the price was just around $400 more than a normal Fatboy which is well worth it in my opinion.

If you don't care about panning your large meats then either the Fatboy or Extended Party plus a G2 Chubby will work well for you. It could come down to how you plan on transporting the smoker to the comps. If you use the back of a truck bed I'd say the EP would be better because you could easily lean it into the back of the truck which isn't going to happen with the Fatboy due to its shorter, wider setup. I have 5 inch casters on my Fatboy and it rolls easily in and out of my trailer and I can put it in the back of my RAV4 if need be but there is no way I'm getting it into the bed of my Sierra by myself.

Bend the lip up just a little and you can fit a full sized AL pan in an extended party. Did a 12 lb (trimmed) brisket and butt for new years on mine in pans. no problem.

My teammate runs an extended party and portability is a big factor. He can load it up in the back of his Tahoe alone while the fatboy ain't made to move that way. I like the idea of two rigs so you have more options when it comes to temp, low rack vs high ect. Also, consider the water pan. If you let the party cool down, easy to just dump the water pan into a trash can while with the fatboy, gotta find a bucket first.

To the OP, what were the factors that led you to decide a cabinet water smoker was the best choice?

I went with the Extended Party primarily for the portability factor of being able to get it in my truck in a reasonable manner.

Back