MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
CrimsonSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Best way to cool #120 of pork butts

I am finishing up 120 pounds of pork butts for an event that is on Wednesday evening. I really don't want to pull all of it want to leave some whole so they can pull as needed. My question is what is best way to cool down after I take out of cooler. They are about 4 pounds cooked. Can I cool them down whole or should I cut them in half then cool. I do have a foodsaver. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cook - Wesley
Pit Boss - Kyle

2 Bandera
1 ECB
1 Royal Oak
CrimsonSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

At 4 pounds cooked, I think they'd be fine left whole, or maybe just split in two. I think the best way (and safest way) to do it is stick the butts in ziploc bags then put them in a cooler full of ice, then cover with ice. With that much pork you'll probably need more than 1 cooler and you'll have to do it in batches. Once the pork is cooled from the ice bath, you can stick in the fridge.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

How are you going to reheat them?
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would split them in two, vacuum pack once you can handle them, then crash cool in a cooler full of ice and water. The water is the key, it pulls the heat from the butts much faster than cold air.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
gtr

When I do large amounts of pulled pork I pull it all, vac seal in 3# bags (gallon size works well and mash 'em kinda flat for easier reheating). I do the last couple/few bags in 2# and 1# sizes so at the end I'm not reheating more than necessary. I reheat by boiling in the bag. Works great for me, YMMV.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

Default Boiling the vac bag? Safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
When I do large amounts of pulled pork I pull it all, vac seal in 3# bags (gallon size works well and mash 'em kinda flat for easier reheating). I do the last couple/few bags in 2# and 1# sizes so at the end I'm not reheating more than necessary. I reheat by boiling in the bag. Works great for me, YMMV.
Please forgive a dumb east Tennessee boy, but is it safe to boil the vac bags to reheat the pork?
MMS Vulcan V33 Gravity Feed with Stoker
Myron Mixon 72XC - Sold
Jumbo J3 - Sold
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 36" Barrell & 24" Square
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjwheeler View Post
Please forgive a dumb east Tennessee boy, but is it safe to boil the vac bags to reheat the pork?
Some vac-pac bags, like Weston, are safe for using as a boil-in bag. But not all bags are created equal, many others are not...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Yes it is safe. The bags are sealed and won't let any water into the bag. If you have a bag that has air in it, do not try this method. That bag will have a hole in it and let water in.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
gtr

Quote:
As another dumb East TN boy lemme answer (grew up in Knoxville & spent a night in Cleveland once - although the visit was unplanned, involuntary and in a, um, "controlled environment") - I don't know about all bags, but the Foodsaver ones work just fine and I think are designed for it. You don't want the bags resting on the bottom of the pot though, 'cause then they'll melt due to the direct heat. I don't think I've ever had a problem with them sitting on the bottom of the pot.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
CrimsonSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the advice. Doing just as you guys suggest and putting in 3# bags and crash cooling then sealing.

Cook - Wesley
Pit Boss - Kyle

2 Bandera
1 ECB
1 Royal Oak
CrimsonSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Gallon sided ziplock bags and put 3-4lbs per bag. Push the air out, and drop in an ice slurry bath to cool them. Personally I have found that it takes just as long to bag, cool and then reheat large quantities of pork like this that it is just as easy to cook it fresh.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote