MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
smokehunter
On the road to being a farker

Default How many lbs of pulled pork

I know a lot of you guys have a lot more experience than me with this so I am asking for your help... I have an 18" WSM. I've got to cook for a luau for approx 50 people next weekend. 30-40's age group. They will also be serving chicken terryaki kabobs. I cook on my WSM a lot; however, I have never cooked for 50. Any idea how many lbs of pulled pork I might need? Also, will my fuel consumption change. Right now I know exactly how much fuel I need for a summertime overnight cook with 1 butt. Will that change if I have 4 or 5 on there? I think it would matter more in the winter than summer. All help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

There's another thread on Q-Talk right now asking basically the same thing. I think the consensus is about 1/2 lb per person is a good estimate.

See here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88540

I squeezed 5 butts on an 18" WSM this summer. 3 smaller ones on one rack and 2 on another. I'd think that 4 -- 8-10 lb'ers should be plenty. Remember, post cooked weight is always gonna be less that pre-cooked.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
jestridge

three pork butts should do the trick but since they fairly cheap do four and freeze the left overs . Here a web site that might come in handy for calculating serving ,Allrecipes.com
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
smokehunter
On the road to being a farker

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.... What about the fuel. Think that will change. I can easily do an overnight cook with one butt on there. Think that will change with 4. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehunter View Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate it.... What about the fuel. Think that will change. I can easily do an overnight cook with one butt on there. Think that will change with 4. Thanks.
Nope. Not much, I don't think.
I look at it like this.....fuel is a variable of cooker temp, not amount of meat. Although it may take a little longer for the cooker to return to temp once placing meat on (although I doubt it) a cooker at 225 for 12 hours will use roughly the same amount of fuel no matter if it's packed full of meat or empty.

I had my 5 butts on and other than having to let the 2 bigger ones cook for another 1/2 hour, they were all done at about the same time as it usually takes me to cook just one, and I never had to add any fuel at all. Fill that sucker up and use the minion method.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

4 9lb butts will yield close 18-20 lbs of cooked meat.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehunter View Post
I'm sure it will change some but not by a whole lot. Something about thermo mass or something. 1/2 pound per person should be more than enough.
Just load up your charcoal ring with a bag of your favorite coals and you will be fine. Monitor your temps for the first couple hours and you should be ok.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Ribbin' Randy
Full Fledged Farker

I smoked 20 lbs of butt for 35 people and we had a ton of sides...it was just enough. I mean there were NO LEFTOVERS! I'd go with a minimum of 3 but would do 4 if you want leftovers.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

My super easy math...but with explanation.

Some say higher but yield after rendering and removing most of the fat is pretty much 50 percent. Assuming normal number of sides I calculate by 1/4 pound portions, 2 portions avg per person to determine amount of protein needed. This is helpful because if PP is your main protein then you calculate 2 portions per person, if there are others (in your case kabobs) then calculate 1 portion PP per person.

The easy math is this, if pork butt in any form is your primary protein then the number of guests is the number of #'s of raw meat you will need. 50 guests equals 50 #'s raw which equals 25 #'s finished product or 100 portions. If serving other proteins then divide the number of guests by 2 to get amount of raw needed.
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote