Prime Rib on the UDS

ralphyboy

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
It's our crews turn to cook for the fire department again and I need a little input from y'all. I have set myself up, after a few sucessfull cooks on my UDS for the guys, I have been deamed the meat guy for our crew. After last meeting's dinner of catered mexican food, and I am not knocking mexican, the guys are looking forward to our a big hunk of meat to tear into. So, we talked about it and decided on Prime Rib. I have read a number of posts on here about Prime Rib, but I need more specifics. Since we a none profit, 100% volenteer department getting this right the first time is important. Plus, this is a tough crowd and if you screw up the food, well let's just say screwing up is not an option, hahaha. We have about 23 guys and a few honorary members, so I am going to cook about 30 pounds. I can use any info folks can give. Big roasts? Small roasts?Temps? Times? Rubs? Bone in? Boneless? Bone tied on? Anything? Thanks in advace and I promise I will post pics of the whole shabang!
-Ralph

Quite a challenge. I have never done one. I have seen some threads on Big Chuck Chunks they look really good.

I have done them on my UDS, and it wasn't my favorite. It was good, and everyone liked it, just have done better on the weber. I didn't use a drip pan on them and they release ALOT of fat so that might have been it. Look in the recipes section for Poobah Prime Rib, and start from there, it is really good. On size wise, if I am cooking for quite a few people I would buy the full rib roast in Cryo, and cut in half. I think it cooks better split in 2, and it will give you a varience of doneness for alot of people.

This is from Steven Raichlen's Website

Hope it helps.

How to select a Rib Roast

As mentioned earlier, the “Prime Rib” or Loin End as it is some times called is preferable. The larger ribs, as they are closer to the Chuck, will resemble a Chuck roast more in its characteristics. A Prime Rib will often (but not always) have a very recognizable distribution of fat compared to the leaner “Chuck” end. If you see a number of roasts in a meat counter, it will usually be easy to distinguish between them, but if in doubt, ask a butcher or knowledgeable meat cutter. Sometimes you will see a “Boneless Prime Rib Roast” which is best left in the case for amateurs. The BEST thing about cooking a Rib Roast is gnawing on the removed ribs just prior to carving duties as long as your guests can’t see you.

Preparation

Page 32 of Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill" describes a basic indirect preparation for a rib roast, Prime or otherwise. He describes how to “French” the roast for presentation, but it is perfectly acceptable to start with the roast just as it was cut from the carcass. Frequently, the chine bone will already be cut off and tied back on. If this is the case, you might want to slip some extra garlic and herbs under the bone, and tie it back on.

If the roast has been in the refrigerator, it is best to let it sit at room temperature about two hours prior to cooking. Doing this consistently will allow you to estimate cooking times more accurately.

Seasoning a Prime Rib is a matter of personal taste. Many grillmeisters enjoy inserting fresh garlic cloves in under the many pockets of fat available on this roast. The large amount of melting fat draws this readily through the meat when cooked (relatively) low and slow. If you enjoy additional seasoning (and who doesn’t?) any kind of rub can be applied. Favorite ingredients include fresh ground black pepper, oregano, French thyme, dill and sea salt (use sparingly.) Herbes de Provence is a ready-to-go mixture that seems to always work. Patting down the roast first with a paper towel, and either rubbing with olive oil or spraying with an oil-based aerosol product will help the herb mixture stick. A favorite trick is to pour the herb mixture into a plastic grocery bag, toss in the oiled roast, and shake until it is covered evenly.

Gas or Charcoal – The age-old question

As with any meat, gas will work, but charcoal will give a nice smoky boost to the flavor. Prime Rib is a very subtle flavor, and any strong wood like Mesquite or even hickory could overpower it. This is a meat at its best rare, or at most, medium rare. If you like well-done beef, a nice brisket might be a better cut for you.

Briquettes tend to burn longer and slower (and a tad cooler) than lump. If you use lump for a rib roast, you should be prepared to add a few coals before the roast is completed. For a small-medium roast (2-4 ribs) a single chimney of briquettes should be enough start-to-finish.

At a steady temperature of 225F, a two-bone roast should take about an hour, perhaps an hour and 15 minutes. An instant-read thermometer is a must. If you like your meat very rare, pull it at no more than 110F, around 115 for rare and perhaps 120-130F for medium rare to medium. Anything over 135F will be more done than this cut deserves to be. The roast should sit NO LESS than 15 minutes before carving, and your patience will be rewarded by all the delicious juices ending up back in the meat, rather than running down your cutting board. The temperature will also rise as much as 10 degrees during the wait. Some people tent with foil, other leave it uncovered. Leaving it uncovered will keep the crisp crust from steaming.

I'll vouch for the thirdeye prime rib! One of the best I've done on the drum.

I may have to do one of those myself.

Good luck on the cook. I hope it turns out well so you won't get cuffed to the fire pole.

Ralphy you are due east of me but no road straight through. I am in Middletown in Lake county. On the prime rib, I have not done one, got it in the freezer, but I would go with Thirdeye.

Hmmmm, my ears were burning... :biggrin:

Ralph, I really like prime rib on the BDS. Below is a post I made on the BDS Forum after my first prime rib cook. I really have not changed my technique that much at all. One of the things I really like about low temp prime rib cooks is the even doneness. (I hate seeing ones with a gray band of medium well on the edge). Knowing I'll use a proper rest, I actually under cook them a little because the juices will re-absorb so well. Besides, If anybody's slice is too rare, I toss it back on the pit for about 2 minutes and it is perfect for them.

And Ralph, one more thing..... you might think about is the number of end cuts you want....AND how many folks like theirs medium. You might be better off cooking a bunch of 3 or 4 rib roasts instead of big ones, this will give more end cuts and allow you to do them to different doneness.

Anyways, here is that post .....

Well, after this cook I have graduated from the BDS boot camp. I'm taking off the training wheels and getting down to learning the fine points of this pit. I've cooked plenty of GOOD prime rib roasts, quite a few BETTER ones, but this one was one of the BEST ones. Technically it was "choice grade" standing rib roast. It was around 5 pounds and was 2 ribs long.

61b7d9fc.jpg

I rubbed it with a Montreal style rub, which is nice and coarse.

d7f1cce0.jpg

It went on the upper grate cold with a pit temp around 225° and a couple of small chunks of pecan for flavor. I started with the fat cap down for 30 minutes then turned ribs down for about 2 hours. No other turning and no mopping was required. This picture was about 90 minutes into the cook.

6b0f19bd.jpg

At 125° internal temperature I removed and rested for 20 minutes. No end-searing was needed. The color was just right and the crust was crispy. Notice the moistness and the VERY even doneness across the slice and the moistness in the bone area. For a special party, it would be no problem doing 5 or more this size on one grate. Three rare, two medium rare, and one medium along with ten end cuts would just about please any group.

7c5d8921.jpg

Ralphy go with Thirdeye!!!!
Man that looks soooooo gooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gotta do one this month.

smoke it to rare let it rest....

slice it into steaks how your buddies like
cook to their preferred doneness

Thanks a lot guys. I picked up an 8 pounder I am going to cook up today. I'll post pics once I get started. Thirdeye, I'll love the tip oof cooking smaller roasts for the various cuts and doness. I didn't even think of that!
Thanks again!

Sorry guys for not being on top of posting my pics! Prime Ribe came out incredible! Thanks again for all the tips!

HPIM4710.jpg

HPIM4711.jpg

HPIM4714.jpg

HPIM4715.jpg

HPIM4716.jpg

HPIM4717.jpg

Lookin gooood.
Drove right through Zamora taking the wife to the airport on Wed.

You've inspired me to try one of these puppies. Maybe sunday. Wife hates rare though, gonna have to torch her slice after it's cooked.

Back