• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chocolate BBQ - the hottest thing this summer?

B

BrooklynQ

Oh Phil? Calling the Poohbah! You thought we were nuts. We're not nuts - just unusual.

22/05/2006- A very unusual concept has been launched in the US just in time for the summer – the chocolate barbeque.

Diva Chocolates has launched a line of five chocolate grilling rubs and spice blends, which it claims is ideal for seasoning beef, poultry and pork. All Diva Chocolates rubs use either roasted cocoa beans or unsweetened cocoa powders, which pair well with the smoky richness of grilled meats.
The Diva Chocolates line includes Mocha Java Steak Rub, Orange Chocolate Chicken Rub, Spicy Cocoa Rib Rub, Kickin' Chocolate Beef Rub and Cocoa Fennel Burger Mix.

"Using chocolate as a seasoning for meat gives a gourmet edge to grilling,"
said Julie Berlin, co-president of Diva Chocolates.
"We combine the goodness of chocolate with uncommon ingredients, such as orange peel, lemon grass, espresso, cinnamon, coriander and fennel to create a flavour sensation. Once you try a Diva grilling rub, you'll find it hard to go back to traditional barbecue seasoning."

Diva Chocolates is a privately held company based in Portland, Oregon. Founded on the philosophy that chocolate should be eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner, this rather innovative company seeks to combine chocolate with unique ingredients to bring new chocolate creations.

I don't believe it....I've been experimenting with some cocoa powder in a rub. Got one with cinammon that the family likes a lot. Thougth the c. power would be a perfect extension. Scott

You know, I'll try that - but I don't WANT a "gourmet edge" to my Q!

I like cocoa in rubs, especially with ancho pepper... and chocolate wouldn't be that far off, as there's also sugar in the rub. I could see it being pretty good... I have a java rub that I may add the cocoa to for flank steak, too.

I've used cocoa powder in rubs, I really like it with beef. Doesn't work for low and slow so well, the cocoa flavor fades away to nothing after a while. I used it mainly for the bitterness and richness that it gave, it was not the primary flavor. These rubs make it sound like chocolate is the starring flavor, so that is a bit different from anything I've tried.

I read some blog about this stuff... :) Anyway, I use it in brisket rub for texture and smoothness. It doesn't taste like chocolate at all. Grilling might be interesting, but will it melt on the grates??? Instead of chocolate covered peanuts, we'll have chocolate covered steak!

I just may buy one or two and give it a try. Couldn't hurt. My brisket scores are going in the wrong direction. I may try this or go back to my original rub.

Back