New Smoker Build - Almost Done

Keith1876

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey all
I am new to this site, but I have been backyard smoking for some time. Earlier this summer I decided to take it up a notch and custom build a trailer smoker. Used a 5 ft piece of 30'' pipe for my chamber with a 24"x24" fire box. I used it once a few weeks ago to season it and make sure I didnt have to make any drastic changes prior to blasting and painting. Overall I was extremely happy with the performance (plus the pork butt was amazing).
Due to the amount of $$$ I have put into this rig, I have decided that I cant back down now and do a crappy paint job (go big or go home right?). I have been looking into several painting/coating options. I am pretty sure I am going to have the fire box and smoke chamber ceramic coated (just on the exterior). Then paint the rest of the trailer. I have seen alot of people toy with the idea, but I havent found anyone who has actually done it. It is expensive (which is probably why no one has done it), but I think it will look amazing and will also help to keep the heat inside the smoker.
Anyone have any knowledge on ceramic coating, pros/cons, etc. All help is much appreciated. Love the site!! Working on uploading pics of the rig, but I am new to the process so give me some time.

Sweet piece of hardware! Looking forward to your pron.

that looks like a serious piece of hardware you are making there. I can't wait to see what it looks like when you get it all finished.

That's gonna be beautiful - actually, it already is! Nice work - looking forward to more pron on this one :thumb:

Very nice build
Anxiously waiting for finished pics and maiden voyage

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

I'll add a great looking rig! And also acknowledge the question on ceramic coating-I have no idea.

There is a brethren member here named mister bob. He has a beautiful smoker called bigred i think. I would pm him and see if he can give you some info on paint.
jon

one thought on the ceramic is what about rocks and other things getting kicked up while pulling it down the road? chiping the ceramic could be a major pain compared to just touching up with a rattle can

hadnt thought about road rash, but there is a tool box and a 150 qt ice chest mounted to the tongue area.

Still saving the funds to ceramic coat right now (its pricey), but the turkey is brining and waking up extra early to toss it on. This will be my 4th year to smoke a bird for thanksgiving, but the first for this rig. Hope she performs well!!

Would have put more pics of the rig on here, but I couldnt get them sized down to the acceptable dimensions. Hopefully by the time I get her painted I wont have those problems so everyone will get to see the true beauty she is!!

Back