What is your preferred cooking style for whole poultry?

What is your preferred cooking style for whole poultry?

• Horizontal

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Vertical ("Beercan"-Style)

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Rotisserie

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Spatchcocked

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • Cut in Halves

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Cut in Pieces

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm not sure if it's the best way or not; but the only way I have ever cooked a whole chicken is vertical.

P1010428.jpg

None of the above. I put it in a pan raised on a grate inside the pan, just like if I was roasting it in an oven, and cook it until it's done. OK, maybe that is horizontal, but I'm thining what I just described isn't what you meant by "horizontal".

I save the pan drippings for gravy or for adding for extra flavor to broth/stock that I make from the leftover carcass. I usually get a couple meals at least, maybe 3 since most times I cook two birds at a time. The first night we eat the smoke-roasted chicken, maybe with some mashed potatoes and chicken gravy, and make pot pies with leftover chicken meat and gravy, for example. Love it.

I used to do it using some of the various methods above, but I find it is just as good this way, and I can get a lot more out of it. Just my 2 cents.

Brined with lemon slices and a mix of herbs butcher twined in the cavity. Easy and tasty.

I voted Rotisserie but I also like the Weber "beer can" accessory. Depends on my mood.

If it is crap chicken quality I'll brine it.
If it is free range or great quality I will not brine it, why would you?:loco:

My favourite is Hotnfast, Biggie described it^^^
CrispyChook.jpg

but, I love it spatchcocked with Asian flavours but again hotnfast.
Crispy Chinese or lemon or Indian style works for me too.
IndochookBSK.jpg

If I smoke it slowly , it is for stock -soup and or salads.

Last edited:
None of the above. I put it in a pan raised on a grate inside the pan, just like if I was roasting it in an oven, and cook it until it's done. OK, maybe that is horizontal, but I'm thining what I just described isn't what you meant by "horizontal".
Pr0n?

Interestingly enough, I don't have any. I do have one shot of a done bird resting in a pan, but not the set up in the pan as it cooked as I described.

This shot shows what I mean, although I have not done the vegetables underneath like this...except once with some red potatoes...but those aren't red potatoes in the pic. And I use a foil pan. I have some cookie cooling grates that fit into the foil pans rather nicely.

Chicken.jpg

This "may" be what Biggie was referring to:

INpg.jpg

From my Capon cook.

I spatch, part out, or cook whole depending on what I want to acomplish.

I tried beer can a few times and did not care for it--just me.

Good Eats no matter how it is cooked.

TIM

^^^Yup, that's basically the same except my rack is flat and fits in the aluminum pan, but is otherwise the exact same result.:thumb:

Like I said...maybe that is the same as horizontal, but I have a feeling it is not quite the same as what was intended for the horizontal option.

Last edited:
This "may" be what Biggie was referring to:

INpg.jpg

From my Capon cook.

I spatch, part out, or cook whole depending on what I want to acomplish.

I tried beer can a few times and did not care for it--just me.

Good Eats no matter how it is cooked.

TIM

My lovely wife has been dry brining (ok, salting...:rolleyes:) chix and cooking them this way in the pic. She turns up the heat in the oven throughout the cook - she may be finishing at 500. They have been turning out fanfarkingtastic and I want to take her method to the smoker and see how it goes. Skin is amazing, chix are crazy juicy, great drippings, etc. :thumb:

Back