Pork Slicing

didisea

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I was practicing my pork this weekend and I was have a bit of a problem slicing the money muscle end of the butt for the slices. Both money muscle sections were really tender and wanted to fall apart into four separate smaller pieces. I also was having a hard time getting 6 slices of the same size diameter without using the ends. Is there a thickness "standard" in comp for pork slices? I have my brand new brisket slicer that I was using so the knife was really sharp.

I've seen slices anywhere from 1/8" up to almost 1/2" come across the table here in the midwest.

the butt was probably done a little to much. although to get slices of the mm the force will have to be strong with you

I also was having a hard time getting 6 slices of the same size diameter without using the ends.

I turned in a box where I used the whole money muscle including the ends, cut into six slices. It got all 9's on appearance.

save one butt for slicinig, watch your temp if you go over 185, it wont slice..there is a fine line between tender and slicable(is that a word)

Dumb question but........For slicing are you taking the temp from the center of the butt or the money muscle itself?

save one butt for slicinig, watch your temp if you go over 185, it wont slice..there is a fine line between tender and slicable(is that a word)

We use a butt for slices and a shoulder/picnic for pulled,chunks or chopped.

Back