MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Default Help Me Not Screw This Up.

With the brethren's help my pork butt was a big success with the family. Im now trying to tackle brisket. I dropped it in the WSM 3hrs ago hoping it will be done in 19-22hrs +2hrs resting time. So far its been smooth sailing the food probe is reading around 140, while the bbq probe is reading 241F. Im planning to start mopping after 10hrs. Is it cooking too fast? Im hoping for a long stall. Will I make my target time? Any tips to not screw this up is appreciated.
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Tony A
Full Fledged Farker

How big is the brisket ?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

13lbs sorry should have mentioned it.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Mopping don't do Chit except extend the cook time. Don't go by meat temp probe tender in the thickest part of the flat never fails. I would bump it to 275 JM2C

Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Tony A
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not a huge pro on brisket but I have had quite a few successful brisket cooks now but even with a bunch of good cooks under my belt I still post up looking for some brisket help its pretty tricky. I don't think you will be cooking for 20 hours I think it will be done before that I cooked a 6 pounder at 270 last week took about 8 hours maybe a bit more plus rest time I think you are most likely looking at 16 hours cook possibly more possibly less each brisket probes tender at different temps so you really have to tend it when it comes around internal of 190 is when I start probing until my probe goes in like butter also fast temps is someone that stressed me but you also have to keep in mind that the meat will stall around 165 degrees for a while before he internal continues to come up but it sounds like you are on the right track don't forget to get your cooler nice and warm don't forget depending on cooler and the temps in cooler you can rest in there for quite a few hours

Hope this helped some and hope cook goes well post some pron and keep us all updated

Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Mopping don't do Chit except extend the cook time. Don't go by meat temp probe tender in the thickest part of the flat never fails. I would bump it to 275 JM2C

Will bumping it to 275 cause the meat to be done alot quicker than I anticipate im aiming for it to be ready to serve at 3 at the earliest?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony A View Post
I'm not a huge pro on brisket but I have had quite a few successful brisket cooks now but even with a bunch of good cooks under my belt I still post up looking for some brisket help its pretty tricky. I don't think you will be cooking for 20 hours I think it will be done before that I cooked a 6 pounder at 270 last week took about 8 hours maybe a bit more plus rest time I think you are most likely looking at 16 hours cook possibly more possibly less each brisket probes tender at different temps so you really have to tend it when it comes around internal of 190 is when I start probing until my probe goes in like butter also fast temps is someone that stressed me but you also have to keep in mind that the meat will stall around 165 degrees for a while before he internal continues to come up but it sounds like you are on the right track don't forget to get your cooler nice and warm don't forget depending on cooler and the temps in cooler you can rest in there for quite a few hours

Hope this helped some and hope cook goes well post some pron and keep us all updated
I dont have a cooler available so i triple wrap in foil and cover with towels. My tablet is not letting me post url for pron

Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

At 240 you will be done several hours before your target time. I prefer cooking at 250 (nit) now because I blow through the stall. Before I would spend hours stuck at one temp.. maybe even go down 5-10 degrees. Way better to be done early. Foiled, wrapped in towels and placed in a big Coleman ice chest (no ice) and it will stay hot for at least 4 hours.

But.... I always foil after the bark is firmly developed and the color I want. About 165-175 IT. Hard to the touch and pretty. Tightly wrap in foil with some fluid (beef broth, whatever) in the bottom until probe tender.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
At 240 you will be done several hours before your target time. I prefer cooking at 250 (nit) now because I blow through the stall. Before I would spend hours stuck at one temp.. maybe even go down 5-10 degrees. Way better to be done early. Foiled, wrapped in towels and placed in a big Coleman ice chest (no ice) and it will stay hot for at least 4 hours.
I've experienced that as well. Any reason behind the temp dropping?
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #10
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Update: I think the wsm has a leak or something. around 7hrs in ethe temp spiked like 30 degrees in 5min. I closed all bottom vents yet the temp remained stable. I closed top vent 2/3 and thr temp went down yet its held to 240 for the last hour. Is it normal?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

30 degrees is nothing to worry about. Don't do anything drastic. As long as temp is 325 or lower, I'd just roll with it.

If the brisket gets done too soon and you don't have an ice chest (who doesn't have an ice chest? lol) You can wrap it up and toss in the oven on "warm" setting till it's time to slice and serve.

I get a chuckle out of people who panic when their smoker temps go above 230 lol.

Oh and a tip I learned from Bludawg, when it probes tender, don't immediately wrap in foil. Let it rest open on the counter for 20-30 minutes then wrap it up. This helps stop carryover temps so it doesn't continue cooking in the foil.

Oh, and don't close down the exhaust too much, it'll ruin your draft and cause creosote buildup on your meat.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

> I get a chuckle out of people who panic when their smoker temps go above 230 lol.

+1 !!! Me too. However, in the old daze before Al invented the internet, without guidance from an accomplished pitmaster many of us were left to books, and frankly back in them thar daze most books had you come away with "if it's above 225 you're Farking it up", when it's really just the opposite: Under 230+- is crazy low, too low IMHO, make it cook unnecessarily slow, and in some cases really REALLY make the meat dry.

230+; let er rock. As Ropo said, just put 'er in the oven wrapped up, on the lowest setting it'll go, or even off (after you've had it at it's lowest setting).
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Is it done yet?! Hopefully he didn't fall asleep at the pit!
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Update?

Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Is it done yet?! Hopefully he didn't fall asleep at the pit!

I fell asleep at around 6 the brisket was 194 int temp at point. Forgot to set the alarm to 205. Woke up at around 8 with probe reading 210. Let it rest for 3 hrs. End result the ends crumble although I havent sliced the point. Im hoping it isnt dry. Live and learn.