Spambalaya

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I made this today for the SPAM Throwdown. I didn't get to take as many pics as usual so I will describe the process instead of just giving a pictorial.

I started with some cubed SPAM. You SPAM experts might notice that there are not enough chunks to correlate to an entire loaf of SPAM, and you are right. The rest is being used for something to be shown at serving time.
r_IMG_0896.jpg

Then I rubbed an aluminum half-pan with oil and added the SPAM cubes along with a chopped onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. I put this over direct heat on my Weber Kettle using lump charcoal, stirring occasionally until the vegetables started getting tender and the SPAM was just starting to brown on the corners. At that point I added a 1-1/2 cups of Chicken Broth (no salt), a can of Stewed Tomatoes and some seasoning. I cooked this over direct heat until the liquid started to boil.
r_IMG_0898.jpg

Then I added a cup of long grain rice (yes, there is rice in there).
r_IMG_0899.jpg

I moved this to indirect heat and covered with foil for about 25-30 minutes until the rice had absorbed all the liquid and become tender, adding some shrimp during the final minutes, and served it in a SPAM Bowl.
r_IMG_0900.jpg

It was really damn good!:thumb: The bowl was a little salty for my tastes, but it was still edible (the bowl was better with some hot sauce splashed on it:thumb:).

i think if the bowl had been smoked then it would have tasted better. otherwise, great idea !

i think if the bowl had been smoked then it would have tasted better. otherwise, great idea !
I thought about doing that, but was worried about warpage or splitting which would ruin the bowl. I suppose I could have foiled it, but I think the salt blocks out the liberal brain rays and adding foil is just plain overkill.

As I commented in the TD thread, great idea :clap:. I think everything looks great in the pan and in the bowl. I was with your right until the bowl. Still looks like something I will try someday though. Probably just serve over dirty rice though.

The Spambalaya itself was absolutely delicious!:nod: I would definitely make it again.

I suppose the SPAM bowl was a bad idea. Seemed like a cool idea at the time though.

Back