MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
shucker
Got Wood.

Default Do I Really NEED another smoker?

Ok, so a co-worker of mine got a Traeger Lil Tex Elite for Father's Day last year and has used it twice. He knows Im into cooking and offered to sell it to me for $250 which is a heck of a deal. I have looked at it and its in brand new shape.

I already have 2 bge's a large and a medium. I also have a 22 and 18 weber kettle along with a MES. I have gotten pretty comfortable with the egg, and use those 90% of the time. I use the MES for set it and forget it meals.

Hence the question - do I really NEED this smoker? I've always been intrigued by the pellet burners but I also know that I can do anything I want with what Ive got. Im very tempted. Should I just use the money to buy myself a Cyber Q which would allow my egg to be a set it and forget it cooker?

I dont want to buy this thing and not use it. But I dont want to not buy it and regret it for a while until I force myself to buy one which would most likely cost more. Sure, I could resell for a small profit, but that wouldnt look too good in my buddy's eyes.

Im torn and need you guys (I already know the wife's answer) to help me feel good about my decision - whatever it might be.
shucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

at that price you can buy it, try it and then make your decision because you're sure to make your money back if you don't like it.
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

If you have to ask then the answer must be YES!!
superlazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shucker View Post
Ok, so a co-worker of mine got a Traeger Lil Tex Elite for Father's Day last year and has used it twice. He knows Im into cooking and offered to sell it to me for $250 which is a heck of a deal. I have looked at it and its in brand new shape.

I already have 2 bge's a large and a medium. I also have a 22 and 18 weber kettle along with a MES. I have gotten pretty comfortable with the egg, and use those 90% of the time. I use the MES for set it and forget it meals.

Hence the question - do I really NEED this smoker? I've always been intrigued by the pellet burners but I also know that I can do anything I want with what Ive got. Im very tempted. Should I just use the money to buy myself a Cyber Q which would allow my egg to be a set it and forget it cooker?

I dont want to buy this thing and not use it. But I dont want to not buy it and regret it for a while until I force myself to buy one which would most likely cost more. Sure, I could resell for a small profit, but that wouldnt look too good in my buddy's eyes.

Im torn and need you guys (I already know the wife's answer) to help me feel good about my decision - whatever it might be.
Are you crazy?

Of COURSE you need another smoker.

• In preparing for disaster (power outages, the second coming), you need to have all forms of cooking devices handy. Gas, sticks, zombie carcasses...you get the picture.
  • It can only improve your smoking skills in preparation for comps.

I, of course, would be honored to take any stragglers you had to get rid of. They would have a wonderful home in Southern California.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Grab it, check it out and see if you like it - if you don't like it, sell it. I'm a fan of having multiple cookers of different sorts. I think being able to cook on any sort of cooker that is available is a good thing and this is a good opportunity to learn a new cooker.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Wampus

NEVER ask yourself that question.
Don't be that specific.
We don't use terms like "NEED" or "NECESSITY" or "Can I get by?" in the world of BBQ.

Instead, ask yourself questions like:

"Why WOULDN'T I want to be able to cook more BBQ for my friends and family?"
"I wonder how many people I could feed if I had THAT smoker?"
"Why SHOULDN'T I be able to cook a whole hog if I wanted to one day?"
"How much money COULD I save if I cooked more Q and froze it instead of buying processed food for the freezer?"

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Get it. I think you'll find that it will replace the MES as your cooker for set and forget. Cooking over a real wood fire will give better flavor than electric and smoldering wood.

Also, I've never found a need for a Guru or similar for my Eggs. I've run one of my Large Eggs for 26 hours on one load of lump with out one.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Also, I've never found a need for a Guru or similar for my Eggs. I've run one of my Large Eggs for 26 hours on one load of lump with out one.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
shucker
Got Wood.

come on, how about some negative comments here?!?! I am really looking for that brave soul to talk me OUT of buying this thing!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
shucker
Got Wood.

tell me how expensive the pellets are, how the smoke taste is weak, how the metal is flimsy....something!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

You know you want it. LOL, but don't look here for an excuse not to. Hey, if you wind up not liking it I'll take it off your hands!
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Friscoag
Knows what a fatty is.

Get the CyberQ! It makes BGE life even easier.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shucker View Post
come on, how about some negative comments here?!?! I am really looking for that brave soul to talk me OUT of buying this thing!!!
Nope. Uh uh. Ain't gonna happen. You're already looking at the perfect spot for it as I type. Fess up.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

You really came here to get talked out of buying a smoker?

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

What is that line....?

'Tis better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Something like that.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote