MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

Work in progress!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brisket.jpg (52.1 KB, 261 views)
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

that looks good and I don't know what it is but that is a great looking smoker!! I'm secretly looking for a stick burner to add to the collection
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn. Lowe's will deliver it right to your door.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

Default 5 Hours in....

5 hours in on the first cook with the baffle, and all is well. The most noticeable effect so far has been temperature control. It has been a LOT more stable and easier to control. And it is a very windy day here today ( 17 mph winds) I am glad I got this addition to my smoker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brisket1.jpg (53.2 KB, 249 views)

Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris92 View Post
I have a an old Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. It is 1/4 inch thick and fully welded. It has a welded baffle. I do not use a convection plate. The smoker works great.
I wish they still made them with a door like yours.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

I called Horizon about the age of mine. They were not certain but think it was around 22 years old. Yours seems to be putting out some good que! The cook looks awesome...

Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
I wish they still made them with a door like yours.
They do, they are called Yoder or Horizon.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #23
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

OK, I looked at the dimensions of the New Horizon plates on their website and and made a wooden mock-up of the standard one. It appears to fit my Klose 20x48, so I went ahead and ordered it. I will test it when it arrives without, with, and with plus a 1"-2" gap. Results to be posted here.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #24
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

When I built my stick burner, I wanted to option of a traditional offset or a reverse flow. So, I had my metal shop cut some tuning plates on their shear - the shear cuts are smooth an let me adjust them with no gap, or space them at increasing widths across the smoker. Mine were about 17" deep and I had a variety of widths cut. With the welded in diverter plate at the firebox it works well and downsizing a little might fit you needs.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
When I built my stick burner, I wanted to option of a traditional offset or a reverse flow. So, I had my metal shop cut some tuning plates on their shear - the shear cuts are smooth an let me adjust them with no gap, or space them at increasing widths across the smoker. Mine were about 17" deep and I had a variety of widths cut. With the welded in diverter plate at the firebox it works well and downsizing a little might fit you needs.
That's a good idea!

Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #26
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Hey Dan I have the same offset. Fixing to make my own plate. Any hoo, put your grill grate in your fire box as if you are going to grill something and stick a pan of water on it. You get some nice water smoking from it.
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #27
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
That's a good idea!
Not original, in fact I found the idea on this forum looking at other stick burner builds & designs. I don't want to clutter up your post but let me know if a pic or two would help. I'm actually thinking of trying to pick up a 1/4" OJ Longhorn doing this mod and maybe moving the exhaust stack to make it a reverse flow (for my oldest son; graduating vet school in May & movin out on his own).
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #28
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

I have the same longhorn so do you know exactly what the temp differences are now?
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #29
Twisted T's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

are these smokers still made of 1/4" metal ?
Twisted T's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #30
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

After a 4 hr seasoning run in which I mapped out my new Trailmaster LE it was evident that it needed a baffle. I had a huge hot spot like a 200 deg difference that ran 1/3 of the pit. I built a Horizon style plate for it in about about 1hr. It made a huge difference in temp control as well as evening out the grate temps. I now have 2 zones the first 12"are 100 deg hotter and dead even the rest of the way to the stack. So it's perfect for chicken on the FB side and everything else on the rest of the grate.