Royal Oak Charcoal

Samichlaus

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a bag a couple days ago. Restaurant Depot sells 20 lb bags for 8 bucks. I usually just buy Kingsford in the twin packs or 40 lb bags of mesquite lump for 10 bucks, either way the Royal Oak is more expensive. Anybody use this stuff?

Bought 400 lbs. last summer on sale. It was OK, but I prefer k. The Royal Oak didn't seam to burn completely. Left chunks of unburned coal with the ash.

Also it had no k stamp so I didn't know which way to place the briquettes.

Royal Oak lump product I assume, it's a good product that at the very top of the list but near the top. I use it maily in the Primos and for grilling.
In the WSMs I have been using DuraFlame lately and really like the results, has the steady heat of K but without the ash.

Kevin said:

That DOES make things more difficult, Kevin.

Kevin said:
Bought 400 lbs. last summer on sale. It was OK, but I prefer k. The Royal Oak didn't seam to burn completely. Left chunks of unburned coal with the ash.

For longer burns, align the lump, lengthwise, pointed toward the magnetic North Pole. For higher temps point it towards the equator. Of course this need to be reversed in the southern Hemisphere.

El Niño only comes into play in leap years.Then you have to turn the lump upside down to cook pork.

jminion said:
Royal Oak lump product I assume, it's a good product that at the very top of the list but near the top. I use it maily in the Primos and for grilling.
In the WSMs I have been using DuraFlame lately and really like the results, has the steady heat of K but without the ash.

I did my first burn today with DuraFlame in the WSM.
I was getting a full 30 degrees less heat at "my vent" settings. Finally opened them full open and never really got to where they should have been.
Very slow to come up to temp also.

I am wondering if I got some old or wet or whatever DuraFlame????
Or, maybe they don't like the higher burn temps of 300+ or so? More of a "low and slow" briquette?
Don't know. But, when my results are different than Jim's, I am gonna re-do my testing for sure.

Gonna buy another bag and try again.

TIM

The_Kapn said:
I did my first burn today with DuraFlame in the WSM.
I was getting a full 30 degrees less heat at "my vent" settings. Finally opened them full open and never really got to where they should have been.
Very slow to come up to temp also.

I am wondering if I got some old or wet or whatever DuraFlame????
Or, maybe they don't like the higher burn temps of 300+ or so? More of a "low and slow" briquette?
Don't know. But, when my results are different than Jim's, I am gonna re-do my testing for sure.

Gonna buy another bag and try again.

TIM
Might want to compare humidity levels.

Bigdog said:
Might want to compare humidity levels.

Dog--thanks, but actually dry, for Florida anyway :icon_smil
Doubt Jim has any more of a desert environ out there.

The bag was new, unopened and about 90 days old.
Should have been fine--I have kept K and all much, much longer.

I think I just need to do it again and see.

TIM

The_Kapn said:
I think I just need to do it again and see.

TIM
You poor farker, you are going to have to cook again. :icon_smil

Bigdog said:
You poor farker, you are going to have to cook again.
icon_smile_big.gif

One of life's little burdens
Copy%20of%20icon_smile_tongue.gif

Need to do a Brisket and couple of Butts this weekend or early next week.
That should work!

All joking aside, I am really curious as to why it burned so much cooler.
Seemed to be really down on BTU's, but that is inconsistant with Jim's comments. So, I am going to try again.
Since KingsFord is screwing around with their product, I am starting to look for a briquette or lump to replace them. Simple.

TIM

Been using a lot of the Royal Oak charcoal here lately. Getting packs of 2 20lb bags at wally world for $6.68... I rhought that was a pretty decent deal. Seems to burn just as long a kingsford in my WSM and produces less ash... so far I really like it!... Have yet to try Duraflame, but I know the local Kroger's carries it and will give it a try soonish...

James.

JamesB said:
Been using a lot of the Royal Oak charcoal here lately. Getting packs of 2 20lb bags at wally world for $6.68... I rhought that was a pretty decent deal. Seems to burn just as long a kingsford in my WSM and produces less ash... so far I really like it!... Have yet to try Duraflame, but I know the local Kroger's carries it and will give it a try soonish...

James.

Was this royal oak briquettes or lump?

JamesB said:

James.

With a price that low, I may switch back to briquettes!!!

40 #s for $6.68 :eek:

Bigmista said:
Was this royal oak briquettes or lump?
Surely it CAN'T be lump. If it is, I'm going to be a little depressed at the price I paid for 20# bags ($7.50) at Restaurant Depot.

Ken

Here is the briquette comparison. Royal Oak onthe left, New Kingsford on the right:

coalcomp.jpg

Hmmm...temps aren't rising like they did last time. Don't know if it's the coal or the smoker. Got some white smoke too...

Back