Cutting boards

deez20

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was prepping some spares tonight on a plastic cutting board and figured I would try using the meat cleaver to to trim them down. Well the meat cleaver worked but I also managed to crack the cutting board in half in the process. I've used the cleaver before with the board and never had a problem. So I guess my question would be, what kind of boards do most of you use for prepping meat, plastic or wood?

I use plastic kind. Bought large one at Walmart. Works nice and cleans up well If it fits in sink. By this I mean I clean it in outside sink because kitchen sink is not big enough. Something to consider when purchasing one.

White plastic. As big as will fit in the dishwasher.

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner.

I have a couple of bamboo boards for my home kitchen that look great, but I'm starting to prefer the cheap plastic boards that I use for competition. I just toss them in the dishwasher. I know they get sanitized that way and its just plain easier.

I buy those oversized plastic ones at Restaurant depot. I chop on it and it doesnt affect it.

Plastic for raw prep and wood for carving cooked foods.

I have a friend who works at the local upscale grocery store... Their meat department uses plastic cutting boards that are about 2'x4' and 3/4" thick. After they use them for a while, they plane them down to get rid of the cut marks. After they get to thin (about 1/2") they get rid of them.... My friend brought a couple to our hunting camp for deer season, so I asked him to get me one too. Works great. I put it up on the folding table or on my charcoal grill portion of my rig and I have a huge area to cut, season, rub, or package my meat. I've seen other's with the same size board, and I think they get them from restaurant supply stores.

I hate to admit this pamperd chef there the best and i also mill mine down after a while you can get a machine shop to do it for about 20 bucks thay have a small one perfict for cutting 1 onion or things like that

"Plastic for raw prep and wood for carving cooked foods."

Academy has several different sizes of plastics.........

I buy those oversized plastic ones at Restaurant depot. I chop on it and it doesnt affect it.

What Sled said.

I get mine at One-Way Restaurant Supply, which you don't need to be a member of. Take Sunrise to the Waverly Ave north, One Way is on the left maybe a half mile up. Number 400-something.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will stick with the plastic ones, although I will see if I can get some that are a little thicker.

Can't say I've had much experience in this area (currently researching the next cutting board purchase) but I've had good luck with the large plastic jobs you get at a restaurant supply store.

Restaurant supply stores/warehouses are great places to get cutting boards, utensils and baking sheets at great prices and good quality.

I would go with thick plastic for raw meats as wood is too porous and will cross-contaminate. I only use wood to chop veggies and cooked meats.

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner.

I have a couple of bamboo boards for my home kitchen that look great, but I'm starting to prefer the cheap plastic boards that I use for competition. I just toss them in the dishwasher. I know they get sanitized that way and its just plain easier.

I'm of the same agreement. I have a huge 24x30 that is a pain. But I have smaller one that fits in the dishwasher, that's the one I use.

Large plastic. The nice wood one I had was to tough to clean.

I have three plastic ones of different sizes. The one I use the most has little cup feet on the bottom. The feet do a great job of keeping the board from slipping.

I bought a really big one a few months ago at Academy Sports. It was really cheap and I love it for doing prep on spares.

Back